Chapter Six: Unlikely Surprises

"I probably won't make it through the next week, so I want to tell you this, I want you both to know that I will still love you, even if I don't go, I will never stop loving you, no matter what." Tears were streaming down their faces. "Mama, I want to tell you something to, I'm going to have Thorns kits. And wanted them to get to know their grandmother, but now, they can't, Mama don't leave us please!" She was crying so hard she felt as if her world was about to be torn in two. "I'm sorry Dove it's just the way it has to be, I will still watch over you though. When I go, you will see me, the brightest star, watching over you, always." They were all crying now. Why did her mama have to go? This wasn't right. None of it was! "Thorn, take care of Dove and the kits for me, no matter what." Her mother was gasping for air now. "I love you Dove, I always will." Then she stopped breathing. "Mama! No! Not yet! Please! No." Dove screamed. "I'm sorry Dove, she's gone." He looked at her with sorrowful eyes. "No! She can't be gone! Why!" She put her paws and head on her mother and cried. All that time she spent with her, she would never see her again. "Come on, let's go dig." As they carried her mother out and set her in the grave, they began pushing the sand over top of her. "I miss you already, mama." As they pushed the last bit of sand in, they sat and stared at the place they just buried her mother.
She leaned on Thorn. He licked her head. "It's going to be alright." He said, trying to comfort Dove. No, she thought, it's not.
They sat outside as the sun set below the sea. "Why'd she have to go Thorn? It shouldn't have been her, why?" She looked at him, crying. "I don't know Dove, I don't know." They went back inside and curled up. Dove thought for a moment."We're going to need a bigger bed." She looked at him and smiled. "Not yet though." He pressed his head against her stomach. "Hello? What are doing in there you little trouble makers?"They both laughed. "Good night Dove."