Chapter Four: Thorn

"No, mama, why did you have to leave?" Thorn sat next to his mother. She had been swept out to sea and had drowned. Then she had washed up to the beach to see her baby once more. "Thorn," my mother put her tail around him."She is gone, yes, but that doesn't mean she is gone completely." He looked up at her with tearful eyes. "Really?"
"Yes, my darling, really," Her mother looked up at the sky. "You see, your mother is up there, she's watching over you every day and night." His face brightened a little. "Now," Mama said, "let's bury her."
It took all evening to bury her. We put flowers we found around it. "Now, let's go to sleep." We curled up next to the warmth my mothers belly. "Mama, do you think we can live here now?" She looked up at her. Her mother thought for a few moments then turned and looked at her. "We'll see." Dove yawned and laid her head down on her paws. She couldn't sleep. She woke Thorn and asked him "Do you wanna play a game?" He looked at her and said "Ok, I guess." They ran outside and threw sand at each other, as if they were brother and sister. "Ha, got you Dove!" Thorn laughed. "Ouch, Thorn you got it in my eye!" She winced as the sand hit her eye. "Here, let me see." He licked her eye and spat. "Eww, sand is gross!" They both laughed. They sat under the stars for a while. "Thorn, will you stay with us forever?" Dove looked at him, blushing. "I hope." He said. They went back to the cave and laid down. "Good night Thorn." "Goodnight Dove."
They woke up and saw another fish sitting at their feet. As they ate they looked at each other and laughed. "I want you to stay forever Thorn!" She looked at him and swatted his ears. "Tag, your it!" Then he started to run off.