Day Three

I woke up, and she was the first thing I saw, making my heart skip a beat before I remembered.

She had heavy eyelashes, too thick to need mascara, and a cute upturned nose that scrunched up against the surface of the ground when she slept. Her hair was a different color today, mermaid green with aqua ends. That was another thing about Aquarius, she always had a new hair color when I saw her. At first it was blue, a deep aquamarine blue that made her eyes pop.

“Mmph, my cloths are dirty now,” she said, still faking sleep. I watched her roll over to stare at me before tugging on her flannel long sleeve. Her clothes were different again. “Funny how stuff like this changes when you’re dead. I thought I was be transparent or something.”

“I’m glad I can hold you, thought,” I said, forcing back a yawn. “It makes dancing easier.”

“Dancing with the dead, that would make a great book title… You know, I wanted to be a writer; I’d be just like one of those trendy young adult fiction inventors that were on every street corner in Portland. I loved magical worlds where you can get away and be anything. That was what I was going to get my degree in.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“What about you? What are you going for, seeing as how you are the one with an actual chance at anything?”

I didn’t know. Honestly, writing was my weakest subject, and math came easily. But, I had no desire or drive for anything like that.

“I thought about just going to trade school,” I confessed before I could think about what I was saying, and how cool it sounded. “I can’t afford more school without scholarships and I’m too white, too rich, and too stupid for anything.”

She grinned, letting long, curling strands of aquamarine fall across her face. “You’re adorable. I think that’s a great idea, find something you love doing, you always enjoyed working with your hands.”

“That’s true. My mom was the one like that though. My dad couldn’t hold a hammer to save his life,” I laughed at the idea of it.

“You should build me a house, one of those miniature homes with only a bedroom and a kitchen to it. Those things are so cute.”

“I had a feeling you’d like something like that.” The idea of Aquarius living in one of those mini houses seemed so right, especially because of how free of a person she was. When she moved in, originally, all she had was a bag of cloths and a mess of trauma hidden beneath the surface of a smile. She didn’t collect things, or see objects as important. No, what she loved were stories and ideas and adventures. A large house wouldn’t suit her, maybe me, but not her.

She slapped my chest hard and then jumped up, landing with loudness. “Come on, let’s be adventurous today. You need some new memories.”

I struggled to stand, feeling the sides of my legs groan in pain. I almost wheezed, but caught myself when I saw her hiding a giggle. I was going to be manly, dang it!

“I’m good,” I replied, puffing out my chest and rolling my shoulders.

This time she didn’t bother to hide her laughter. “It’s fine to be sore, you’re adorable when you’re honest with yourself.”

“I’m not too sore,” I said. But then I took a step and winced. “I just need to walk it off. Lead me on and I’ll follow, just like your shadow.”

She hummed, turning on her toes and sashaying out of the construction site with the hips of a dancer and grace of some exotic animal. I staggered behind her like a drunk skunk.