Rebellious

Chapter 1

This was her favorite time of the day. The sun rising on the horizon, the dew of the night just beginning to evaporate, the birds beginning to sing—and the best part—she would be alone! No one disturbed her peace at this time of the day. She could sing, dance and be herself with just nature to witness it.

She had tied her horse, Fire, to a nearby tree; as she knew the horse wouldn’t bear the walk down to the waterfalls. The walk wasn’t long anyways, she thought as she began her journey. Fifteen minutes and she would be jumping into the cool waters that settled into a pool at the foot of the waterfalls.

As it was her daily routine, she undressed to stand completely naked before nature. She undid the braids from her red curly hair and dived into the deep waters.

*************************************************

His alarm went off at 5:00 am in the morning, like it did usually.  It was the time he preferred for his daily jogging routine.

“Dude can you cut that shit off?” Danny cursed “We are supposed to be on vacation” he pulled the covers up and covered his head.

Ken turned the alarm off, “Sorry” he mumbled. Damn him! Danny was right, it was supposed to be a boys’ vacation, a time to relax and leave the city worries behind. Plus they had just arrived last night from a long days’ drive. He hesitated for a moment, wondering if he should go back to sleep or still do his jogging.

He opted for his usual routine. Jogging was way healthier and he knew that if he missed it this week while on vacation—next week it would be hard to go back to it.

He dressed and went out of the hotel room. He stopped by the receptionist and asked him where the best place for a walk-run would be.

The receptionist explained a few trails that would lead him to the park, others that took him to the end of the town, and finally he explained one out into the woods that would lead him to waterfalls.

“How far is it to the waterfalls?” Ken asked the receptionist, as this had captured his attention the most.

“About thirty minutes. I do warn you that you will be crossing private property to get to it, the actual waterfalls are open to the public and there is a trail that can lead you to it. It’s still early on in the morning and I doubt the owner would be around there at this time. Try your luck, he usually lets the town people in but he gets uneasy about strangers”

“Thanks” Ken replied.

And he was going to try his luck.

He jogged his way to the entrance of the woods and then after finding the entrance the receptionist had described, he entered the woods, jogging his was across and to the waterfalls.

He was taken aback at the view before his eyes! He felt like he was on top of the world, looking down at the cascades of luscious waters as they playfully hit the ground making huge crashing waves that streamed down into pool and from there it streamed down again and into much shorter waterfalls and it continued going on, down the hills.

He caught a flicker of movement in the pool area—where it was supposed to be still.

Holy shit—he thought, maybe the owner was here after all.

He saw the movement again but it was too fast and he couldn’t make what it was. He began walking down the steep hill to get a closer view; whatever was in the water couldn’t attack him from in the waters.