Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Rebecca quickly dressed before mounting her horse. She realized she had been running like a maniac up the hill to her horse—wrapped in the towel.

She rode home, whipping Fire and kicking her sides, the horse galloped its way home full speed.

Upon arriving her home, she noticed her fathers’ workers gathering for their usual breakfast. She was still riding the horse at full speed when she entered the gates to her house.

The laborers came running towards her in an attempt to help her—or rescue her from whatever she had been fleeing.

The horse came to a stop right before the laborers; one of them offered her hand to get off. And she accepted it; got off the horse and ran into the house in search for her daddy. She knew one of the workmen would care for Fire.

There at the breakfast table stood her father, her mother at his side.

“We have been waiting for you to have breakfast” her mother said.

“Where have you been Rebecca?” he father asked. His voice always held a brusque tone, as if he was still giving orders in the military or to his workmen. His face was stern and he looked her straight in the eye as he asked “Don’t tell me you’ve been to the waterfalls again”

She placed a finger in her mouth and began nibbling nervously on one of her fingernails “Yes father I went there again. You know I love that place”

“I have told you so many times to not go there, specially alone”

“Well I’m sorry father. I will not stop going there”

Her father ignored that and asked instead “Why were you riding Fire at such speed?”

“Because I was running….from….never mind” she said and sat down to eat.

“What happened?” he demanded. He knew something ought to have happened on the way home for her to be riding so fast.

He mother spoke up, “Sweetheart your father is asking you something. Please answer him” she pleaded. She was always trying to smooth things between them when an argument arose.

“Nothing” she mumbled and served her breakfast.

The rest of the meal went quiet but Mr. Lemus wasn’t satisfied with how the conversation had ended.

After breakfast Mr. Lemus got up from the table kissed his wife good-bye, and walked over to Rebecca.

She shifted nervously as he bent down to kiss her forehead.

“Be a good girl Rebecca, if I hear anything out of way, you know what happens”

“I’m not a little girl father” she snapped “I am 20 years old and you still treat me like I’m seven. One of these days I will get married and leave you, will you still give me orders?”

“You may be twenty or fifty for all I care. You still live under my roof so you are still little to me” he laughed and walked out.

Rebecca rolled her eyes at him.

“He will never change” she said to her mother “I have never even had a boyfriend and I am twenty, mother! All of the other girls have boyfriends and I can’t have one. Boys don’t even talk to me, I can’t wear makeup, I can’t hang out with girlfriends, I have been homeschooled!” she stood up and pushed the chair to the side.

“Rebecca!” her mother exclaimed.

Rebecca ignored her mother and ran upstairs, into her room. Locking the door she walked to her king sized bed.