- lvl 2: the tree

─────────────────────

───────────────── ᵔᴥᵔ ──

Y O U R P O V

"Chaeryeong! Y/n! I made breakfast!" is probably one of the best sentences to wake you up in the morning. Groaning, I stretch my arms above my head as I make my way to our kitchen.

Thanking Lia, I grab a plate and make my way to the dining room table, trying my best to stay at least a little bit conscious so I don't slam my face into my food.

"Dang, Chaeryeong, you were already awake? I would have just brought it to you," Lia says, watching Chaeryeong walk out of her room, way to well dressed for this early in the morning.

"Yeah, I bought this skirt when I went out with Hongjoong and Yuna last week and finally got the chance to wear it," she says as she looks down at the pleated skirt. "I customized it a bit, I think it turned out nice!"

"It looks awesome, Chaeryeong!" I say, smiling as she thanks me. The three of us all eat in silence, enjoying the meal that was prepared before getting ready for our classes. Each of us grabbing our bags, we make our way out of our dorm and begin walking towards campus, meeting under the infamous tree that - some in the group would say -  single-handedly created the friend group.

"The Tree's" story isn't that jaw-dropping or important to anyone outside of the group, but for the people who now gather under there, it holds much significance. For each member of the group, somehow the tree, that  tree, was involved.

--

For Y/n, she was sitting under that tree one morning, doing last minute work for her class when she saw a boy she recognized running quickly in the direction of the building. The boy fell, his belongings spilling everywhere. Y/n rushed to help the boy up off the ground.

"I'm going to be late to my exam! Fuck, man!" He said as he scrambled the concrete to grab his belongings.

"We have Professor Boz together, right? You look familiar," Y/n said.

"Yeah, wait, you're going to be late to the exam, too!" He exclaimed as he ushered her to grab her things, already thinking of a plan to cover for each other.

"Chill, he put it off to next week, we're both fine," Y/n says calmly, lightly grabbing a hold of the frantic boys shoulders.

"You're a life saver, I'm Wooyoung."

"I'm Y/n, now, if you would like, we can walk nice and slowly to lecture without a care in the world," Y/n says smiling as she looks at the building in front of them.

"Sounds better than what I was doing."

To show his gratitude, Wooyoung had invited Y/n to sit with him and his roommates at lunch that day. She was introduced to San and Hyunjin and introduced her roommates, Chaeryeong and Lia, and they were all welcomed as new friends and created a small troupe. With Lia joining the group, along came Yunho - her childhood friend - and Changbin - Yunho's roommate - and, luckily, they both fit in with everyone amazingly.

"Meet me by the tree tomorrow and we can walk to class together."

--

For Jisung, the tree is where he found Chan. Chan was like a mentor to him, always admiring the work he had done for music production, and he often went to him for advice. Finally deciding that he should thank him for all he has done to help him, Jisung found Chan staring at his phone while standing under the tree.

"Hey, Chan, would you want to go for a round of drinks? On me, I know this great bar a little ways away and I wanted to thank you for all of your help this past semester," Jisung asks, feigning confidence as he looks at the older man.

"That sounds awesome," Chan says excitedly. "Could I bring some of my buddies? They'll pay for themselves, I promise, and you can bring some of your friends, too!"

"Yeah, what's your dorm number? I'll swing by around 8 if that's okay and we can all head out., Jisung suggests.

"I'm in A467 in dormitory B, and yeah, that time is fine by me."

Arriving at the bar, Chan and Jisung really connect and they can feel a strong friendship growing between them. Not only that, but both of their dormmates seem to be getting along with one another well too. Jisung and his roommates - Felix, Seungmin, and Jongho - all found someone with similar interests with Chans roommates - Seonghwa, Mingi, and Jeongin.

"Meet me by the tree tomorrow, I want to make sure you're not too hungover before class."

--

For Yuna, it was when she was walking to the building, wearing a new pair of pants that she customized and accessorized herself.

"Woah! Did you do all that or did you buy them like that? They're awesome!" Yuna turned to look at the source of the voice and saw a man stand up from his sitting position under the tree.

"I did this myself! Cool, right?" Yuna says, looking down at her creation as the man walked over to get a better look at the amount of sheer detail was put into creating the garment. 

"This is insane, what did you even use?" He asked. Yuna gave a list of various items and techniques she implemented as the man listened intently.

"I can show you if you'd like! My roommates and I have sessions where we just dump old clothes and try to all make new things out of them, you could join us!"

"I'm down! Here-" The man pulled out his phone, "- lets trade numbers so you can text me when is a good time to come over."

Exchanging Numbers, they both rush to class, not realizing how long they were talking. Looking down at her phone, she finally learns the man's name: Hongjoong.

"I told my roommates about what you are your roommates do and they want to join, is that okay?"

"Of course, if they have any clothes they dont wear and are okay with tearing up, tell them to bring 'em!"

That night was spent with Yuna and her roommates - Ryujin and Yeji - creating clothes with Hongjoong and his roommates - Minho and Yeosang.

"Yuna! Meet me by the tree tomorrow so I can see you wear those pants your making right now!"

--

After all of these interactions, slowly more and more people began meeting at that tree every morning, what turned from small talk between Jisung and Wooyoung turned into group laughter from Chaeryeong, Felix, Minho, and Chan.

Slowly, each individual group found themselves waiting everyone's arrival under that tree. The group would meet there every morning eating breakfast, talking about their nights before, exchanging and copying homework, studying for upcoming exams, everything.

That tree was important to everyone, and had a lot of meaning to them. But to anyone else, it was just another tree, like any one of the others on campus. But the group made this one special.

--

tumblr (more active there + consistent ateez content) - yunhoflrtz