Chapter one: Creation

Aloneness. That's what I felt as the world around me revolved, leaving me empty.

Let me take you to a path of my life.

It was the week of the grandest ball in the village. I was getting ready as the carriage awaited me outside. "I'm ready, see you later?" I shouted to my mother as the words echoed along the empty halls. "Of course, Have some fun tonight Em, for me." Mother said, running down to my room and looking at me with her doe eyes. "I will, I promise. Goodbye, mother". "See you later, darling."

I ran hurriedly to the carriage. I stopped at the sight of a man's back. He turned around and smiled at me.

I did not know this man, but he looked familiar.

"Emmeline!" He yelled excitedly whilst running towards me and giving me a big hug. As he hugged me, I grew familiar with his scent. "Andrew?" It was Andrew, my older brother. "Wh- How are you here right now?" I questioned him and looked at him with a confused gaze in my eyes. "It's been so long, my dear sister." He said while looking at me with his stupid grin.

"Oh, don't do that," I said whilst pulling out of the hug. "Do what?" He said while laughing. "Oh, it's been so long Em, the last time I saw you, you were nothing but a small child running around father's field." "I know brother, but alas, we meet again," I said with a smile planted on my face. It has almost been a century since I last saw Andrew. I miss him so much. "We are going to be late dear sister." He hushed while holding out his arm for me to grab on. I grabbed hold of his arm and hurried to get inside the carriage. Andrew helped me get into the carriage, I held his arm as he clasped onto the back of my dress to avoid me from stumbling on it.

The ride to the castle was long and silent.

I was excited to see my brother again after all this time, but it was different now, Andrew was different.

I guess that is what marriage does to a person.

We arrived at the castle, it was full of guests. This was a lot of people. I have never seen hundreds of crowds form in a short amount of time. My heart was beating so fast, this was my first ever ball. We hurried along as we passed by hundreds of people. "Names please." A sentry asked as we approached the big castle doors. "Lady Emmeline of Castle Combe," I said nervously. "Andrew, Duke of Lavenham." He said confidently. "The Lady Emmeline of Castle Combe escorted by The duke Andrew of Lavenham" The sentry announced as he opened the big palace doors. As the doors swung open, I felt a rush through me.

People watched as we delicately walked down the flight of steps ahead. People gathered around making a huge crowd, they applauded at the sight of my brother.

They loved him.

"They love you brother, but why?" I said as I looked at my brother confused. "I am their weakness, dear Emmeline. They don't love me, they applaud because they fear me." He whispered to my ear. He held out his hand as he asked me to dance with him. We danced for what felt like forever. It was very peaceful and fun. I missed my brother dearly, but it does make me wonder why he is back in Castle Combe. My thoughts stirred and then suddenly stopped as I saw him standing there.

______________________

Hello I am Rose and this is my first ever book. Please be patient with the updates, I am still a student with a lot of work going through rn. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, it was short but I wanted to try out something new.

-Rose