Chapter four: Under the Moonlight

Lancaster, July 22nd 1699. Two years ago |Narrator's POV|

"No!" The Prince yelled.

"I will not marry her!" He announced while looking at his father enraged.

"You will, and it has already been settled, the dowry has already been settled. I will not hear another word young man, out now!" King George insisted as he slammed down the books on his table. The prince exited the room with a resentful mood.

His father has arranged a marriage for him.

The prince barged into his mother's room.

"Did you know about this mother?" He asked while prancing around the room. "About what dear?" Queen Almara asked confusedly. "About this marriage!" The prince roared. The room filled with silence.

"Yes." Queen Almara admitted guiltily.

"Then why didn't you stop it?" The prince questioned. "I couldn't, your father he-" "He what?" Peyton yelled as he cut off his mother's sentence. "He wouldn't let me." Queen Almara said.

"Mother, you know I want to find love. I do not want to betray the woman I will marry just because my heart belongs to another." He implied while sitting down with her.

Tears fell down the Queen's eyes as she felt ashamed for what she couldn't do to save her only son. "I will try and talk it out with your father in the morning, but now just have a good nights rest darling." The Queen whispered as she comforted her son.

Present day |Emmeline's POV|

I was about to go to bed until I heard tapping from my window.

As I got up a pebble smashed through and made me flinch. I ran to the window immediately to investigate who threw the rock.

It was the Prince.

"My apologies." He mumbled.

I looked at him with confusion in my eyes, wondering what he was up to. "Your Highness, you scared me. Is there something I can do for you?" I questioned. "A night out?" He responded. I looked at him puzzled.

"Pardon?" I questioned as he looked at me with a calming yet passionate look on his eyes.

"Would you take a midnight stroll with me?" He asked.

I was stunned by his request.

There was a moment of silence as I thought of my decision to go with him. I didn't know why but, I trusted him. "Of course. I suppose a midnight stroll is what I need." I replied as his face lit up with joy. "Alright." He said excitedly.

I rushed down to go and see him.

He stood in the same spot. I attempted to bow as he stopped me and grabbed my hand.

We ran across the field chuckling, smiling as we reached the nearby lake.

We sat on the grass. I felt a cold breeze rush through my hair. The prince took off his coat and planted it on my shoulders. I watched as he positioned his arms around my shoulders. He struggled to keep the coat up, I placed my hand on the coat to make it stay put.

He gazed into my eyes.

"Thank you, your highness." I whispered.

"Please call me Peyton." He insisted. I smiled at him as I ran my fingers down my hair nervously. "So, what did you wanna do?" I asked. "Talk." He replied.

"I have never seen a young woman like you, I see that you are unique." He stated.

"How so?" I questioned him confusedly as we only have met once. "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen." He stated as I bit my giggled nervously and thanked him.

He stood up and and held put his hand.

"Dance with me?" He requested.

I smiled as I held his hand. He helped me up and twirled me around under the bright light of the moon. We danced slowly and gracefully.

He looked into my eyes as I looked at his.

Dancing with him made me feel peace. I leaned my head into his shoulder. Could I actually find happiness in this awful world? I looked up to him and said "Andrew will be looking for me when he knows I have vanished."

"We shall go then." He said.

_________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and thank you so much for the support! Please go support my friend Zetsu, she is an amazing artist and also helped me out writing this chapter!

Art instagram: https://instagram.com/cabbagedoodlers?utm_medium=copy_link

-Rose