13

"Ri, we need to talk."

Riley's heart drops at those words. He sits up on the couch and looks over at her. "What's up?"

"I don't know if we should get married."

"What?"

"We we're only datin' for a year 'fore we got engaged, y'know? Isn't that kinda rushin' things?"

"Your parents dated for a couple months 'fore they got engaged."

"Yeah then they divorced when I was in fourth grade." She deadpans. "I don't wanna end up like that. I don't want to end up havin' kids and then getting a divorce like a year later."

"Why are you bein' so selfish?"

Selfish?

Kate scoffs. "I'm being selfish?"

Is she actually being selfish?

"Yeah." He clenches his jaw. He wants to just unleash every thought in his head; is this cold feet or is it something else? "We're gettin' married next weekend, Katie. It's kinda late to back out now." He stands and walks away, leaving her alone in the living room with tears in her throat.

She looks down at her hands, twisting her ring around her finger. She clears her throat as she heads to the bedroom for her phone.

She wants to call Morgan.

She wants him to come sweep her off her feet. She wants him to come to her rescue. She wants him to make a goddamn scene about it. He loves her and she loves him but she can't be selfish and break Riley's heart.

+++

"Morgan, where're you goin'?" Michael asks when he sees him rushing down his stairs with a book bag on his back.

"Jacksonville."

"You were invited to the weddin?"

"She can't do this to herself, man. You know it and I know it. She's only marrying him so she don't hurt his feelin's." Morgan sighs, sliding a Troubadour hat on his head before grabbing his keys. "I gotta go."

Michael lets him go. Nothing he can say will change his mind.

He watches him drive off, a dust cloud following his Ford.

+++

Katie looks at her reflection and sighs. Taylor is curling her hair while she's putting make up on.

They're both quiet, the music playing from the speaker is the only thing filling the room.

Kate's heart is thumping in her chest. She can feel it in her nose and forehead. This isn't right but it's what's right for Riley.

And she doesn't want to be selfish.

Selfish.

Is she being selfish?

Is she being selfish by putting herself first?

Maybe she should do that more often and not let people walk all over her. She used to be like that; outspoken. But when she moved to Atlanta, things started to change.

She's positive that if she stayed with Morgan instead of leaving, they'd be married by now.

No doubt about that.

They'd have that big ol' house in the woods like she's always wanted with a long driveway and maybe some farmland.

Maybe a baby or two.