Why Is This So Important?

Edward was taken aback, not knowing how to react or what to do. He just stared at him and his face fell. He tensed up and felt slight shivers run down his entire body. Why was this happening to him? It's the first day. The beginning of school. What is this?

Why him and not anyone else? 'Why do I have to suffer through this time and time again? What did I ever do to anyone? Nothing. The answer is just nothing.' All of these questions ran through his head more and more as he was face to face with Luke, the devil himself. He gave Edward a smirk that can only be known as devious.

His mind continued to spiral, but something in Luke caught his eyes. His face, his mouth is in a smirk but his eyes look terrified, his expression contrast itself. It's worrying, but Edward tried to move on from that and moved around Luke to get free, to get a clear head. He rushed away from him, trying to find the nearest door that would lead to the cafeteria.

Searching on and on, he finally found it, taking deep breaths. The constant thinking, he forgets about the look and focused more on the actions. He can't keep living like this. He can't keep moving when he can never forget. The past always catches up with him. Why can't it stay away? Why does he have to keep all these thoughts in his head? Why can't he forget? Why can't he forget him? Why does he keep coming back?

"Why don't you listen to me? Why can't you just quit?" The noise is sudden.

"Why do I have to give up the one thing I'm good at, the one thing I love?" The reaction is hesitant. The stress is building, and so is the hurt.

"The one thing you love? Are you saying you don't love me? Are you saying art is more important than me?"

"Th-that's not what I said. I didn't mean it like that. Of course, I love you."

"Then why don't you listen? Why can't you understand that I'm only trying to help you?"

No, no, no! Not him, not now. Trying to find his sister, Edward's eyes searched the outside over and over. He continued to look, his breath getting heavier, his mind clouding. He needs her, he needs comfort, but there is none here. He needs to find an area where he can relax. He reentered the school and tried to find the art room, or something close enough. His hand connected to the wall. His pace slowed, and his thoughts only grew.

Why? It's an amazing day. Why after school? Why when he calmed down and was able to be at peace was it ruined?

"It's not helping if you just want me to give up. This is my dream. Why does it matter to you?"

"I want you to succeed. I want you to excel in life, not waste your time on this ignorant little thing you like to do on the side."

That's what did it. That's what caused the mental drop. The fear that what he wanted to do was ignorant. 'Is he right? Is this ignorant?' Looking down at his sketchbook, Edward felt ashamed. He felt like it was wrong.

"This isn't the first time we've talked about it. It's time for you to stop living in this little reality you've made up, and take a look around yourself. You'll see the world isn't so perfect." His words burned their way into Edward's brain, imprinting themselves there.

"Alright." Edward's voice was soft and he nodded. Turning towards his house before grabbing his hand, Brandon's hand.

"I'm only like this because I love you." Brandon looked at him as they walked towards the front door.

That was a year and a half ago. The end of his freshman year. He can't keep doing this. Trying to continue to the art room, he tried to push forward before falling into this little spot in between the walls, curling up.