fifteen

Iston POV

We ride out of the forest and into the flooded land around the tower of Isengard. Legolas, Gimli, Theoden, Gandalf, Aragorn, my brothers, and I have all traveled together, and I think, at any other time, our group would have been almost comical.

"Welcome, my lords, to Isengard." Merry shouts from somewhere ahead of us. I push my horse forward to see him and Pippin standing on a rock in the flooded field. Both of the hobbits look as if they've had slightly too much to drink and smoke.

"You young rascals." Gimli yells up at them. "A merry hunt you've led us on and now we find you feasting and drinking and smoking!"

"We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well earned comforts. Pippin says in a slurred voice. "The salted pork is particularly good."

"Salted pork!" Gimli looks jealous.

"Hobbits!" Gandalf shakes his head.

"We're under orders from Treebeard who's taken over management of Isengard." Merry says, as if that explains what he and Pippin are doing.

"Hoooom, young master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a Wizard to manage here locked in his tower." Treebeard booms as we approach.

"Show yourself." Aragorn demands, yelling up to the tower.

"Be careful." I warn him. "Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous."

"Hummm Lord Iston. We meet again, and gladly." Treebeard greets me.

"Wellmet Master Treebeard. It seems you've made a rather large mess of the place." I say. The Ent's laugh echoes across the clearing.

"How is it, that you elves know everyone?" Gimli hisses to Legolas.

"Perhaps" Legolas says back, "It's the thousands of years longer we've lived. Or maybe, it is that we don't hide behind walls of stone."

Gimli huffs but then seems to remember the wizard in the tower. "Well then let's just have his head and be done with it."

"No, we need him alive. We need him to talk." Gandalf says in distaste.

"You have fought many wars and slain many men, Theoden King and made peace afterwards. Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?" Sarumans's voice comes from the top of the tower.

"We shall have peace. We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead there!" Theoden yells back up at him. "We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows we shall have peace!"

"Gibbets and crows! Dotard! What do you want, Gandalf Grahame? Let me guess; the key of Orthanc? Or perhaps the keys of Barad Dor itself? Along with the crowns of the seven Kings and the rods of the Five Wizards!" Saurman tries to anger Gandalf. "Although I see you've already managed to get a piece of the blue wizards." He points down at me.

"Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk. But you could save them, Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's counsel." Gandalf reasons.

"So you have come here for information. I have some for you." He laughs, holding up a palantir. "Something festers in the heart of Middle Earth. Something that you have failed to see. But the great eye has seen it! Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon."

His voice grows louder and more threatening

"You are all going to die! But you know this, don't you, Gandalf? You cannot think that this Ranger will ever sit upon the throne of Gondor. This exile, crept from the shadows will never be crowned King." Aragorn and I look at each other and Saruman continues. "Gandalf does not hesitate to sacrifice those who are closest to him, those he professes to love! Tell me, what words of comfort did you give the Halfling before you sent him to his doom? The path that you have set him on can only lead to death."