it's pronounced kay-ley

+++++++++++++++++++

Finally, the party ended and Higgs met up with Merida to travel back home.

"Did you have fun?" he asked.

"It was pleasant. Nothing beats a ceilidh but eh..."

"A ceilidh? We have those."

"No, no, not an English ceilidh; dull and droll. No, I'm talking about a proper one. One day we can visit my family and I will introduce you to a real ceilidh."

"Aren't those for special occasions?"

"Sometimes."

"By the way, did you see that strange man earlier?"

"Aye, I did."

"Elizabeth said you knew him?"

"Not personally but he's actually-"

"Ms. Dunbrough, so nice of you to invite me to your home." Emmerit said, sliding up next to her unannounced.

Merida looked at him as he gave her a look, indicating he didn't want her to tell Higgs about their future relation.

"Invited to our home?" Higgs asked, confused.

"Laird Higgs Northumberly, this is Emmerit Delaney."

"How do you do?" Emmerit said, bowing.

"Hello..."

"I invited him to stay with us. He has been on quite the journey."

"Um... who are you acquainted with-"

"GRETCHEN!"

"Wah! What?" she yelled, confused at being pulled away from talking with someone else.

"So good of yer cousin to join us tonight. I wish ye would have mentioned him sooner."

Gretchen blinked at Emmerit and tried to hide her confusion and pain from Merida squeezing her arm."

"Um... yes. It's so good to see you, Cousin. I was having so much fun that I forgot to introduce you to everyone. What a terrible person..."

"But I ken ye dinnae have a place for him at Lady Hinkley's due to his wishy-washy nature. He just showed up without warning!" She leaned over to Higgs. "Gretchen was telling me all about it."

"Yes. I was." She said mechanically as Emmerit grabbed Gretchen's hand.

"I apologize profusely, dear cousin. My travels do not give me the luxury of a consistent schedule, or speed of post. But your friend has so graciously let me stay at her home... so long as her employer is fine with it?" he said, looking at Higgs.

Gretchen was still confused and Merida kicked her in the leg from behind.

"Yes, I am very sorry, Cousin, but my lady wishes that all traveling guests give her at least a week's notice for room and board at the manor. It's ill form to come from street travels without the luxury of at least a bath when you arrive. Plus, the cleaning of the house and downing of beds... Tedious work... But if Lord Northumberly would be so gracious as to keep you, then all is well."

"We've got plenty of room... and since its Gretchen's cousin, we will make him pay by having him help around the house."

"If he's my cousin, then surely you would be nicer."

"But after all he's done, Gretchen." Merida seethed.

"Oh, yes," Gretchen said, realizing what Merida was doing. "I guess he deserves a bit of punishment for improper notice."