His Wayward Duchess - Chapter 1

Chapter One

London, 1876.

It was a rather chilly morning when two people, one of them very talkative whilst the other one tried to support the others weight, may their way through the dim streets of a fashionable London quarter.

As always the composed butler that opened the door when knocked didn’t even lift an eyebrow in surprise of his master being in such high spirits.
He had gone used to it, as many other treats that his master had done since his duchess left him two years ago.
“Master Ravenham. Lord Northampton” he said calmly “I hope you’ve enjoyed your evening out?”
The black-haired guy groaned as his friend let go of him and he fell onto the floor.
“I believe Ravenham has had a little too much to drink, Benet. Please put him in bed and don’t give him some laudanum when he wakes up tomorrow. He deserves it all for drinking until he couldn’t walk straight.”

The guy from the floor laughed while failing to get onto his feet, drunk as hell.
“Roland” he mumbled, “you’re not the understanding soul you once were…”
The more sober guy shook his head. “I’m serious, Ravenham. You’re ruining the last chance of Caroline ever coming back to you if she gets word about your condition..."
Benet had helped his lord to an upright standing position but he struggled as the younger guy’s body weighted a lot more than his and that he swayed, he glared at his friend.
“Is that a threat, Roland?”
His friend’s gaze suddenly grew cold.
“Indeed, because I’m warning you this one time, Ravenham. I’ll write her if you don’t change your lifestyle.”
His word seemed to had gone through because suddenly Ravenham sobered up and almost shouted at him;
“No. You will mind your own business and you will not write her, Northampton. My wife left me years ago and we both have a document informing that we’re to be seen as separated. She left me…”
“Well… you weren’t really supporting her… Edward...”
“I urge you to mind your own business if you don’t want to experience some difficulties in your position at the House of Lords, Northampton!”
He turned his back while leaving both his friend and his butler, both speechless.

His butler shook his head when his master departed, slightly out of balance.

“Lord Roland, I beg for your forgiveness of my master’s rude behavior. Ever since Lady Caroline left him he has been absolutely impolite towards his remaining friends. He is, as you can see, a very broken man. I hope that you’ll oversee this and visit him one day when he’s more… himself.”
“And when would that be, Benet? Next year? How long has it been since he been sober?”
“On the second day of the New Year, sir.”
“You got to be joking me. That’s months ago… wasn't that at the time he stayed at the Duke of Kent’s place?”
“I believe he didn’t even drink one glass of malt whiskey in the morning before going out hunting with the duke.”

His friend groaned.

“Benet. You understand that I have to write to her, don’t you? He’s trying to commit suicide.”
“He may seem unreasonable, lord Roland, but he’s still grieving his late father. It's only been a year since the funeral. But even so, I too wish for Lady Caroline to return and set things straight again. The house hasn’t been itself in these two years. And everybody said that they two were so in love...”
Both of them stood lost in thoughts for a minute before they heard him shouting.
Benet sighed.
“Well, I bid goodnight to you, sir. And thank you for bringing him back. You’re a good friend.”
“Benet… please take care of him. He’s my dearest friend and I… no, forget it. Please don’t tell him that I’m thinking of inviting Caroline to London for a visit. Even though my wife and she are the best of friends, they haven’t seen each other in ages. So I believe she’ll help me out.”
The butler bowed.
“Then I haven’t heard a word about it. Take care on your way home, sir.”

To be continued...