4

"I was wondering if you'd like to come to dinner at my house tonight? I planned on closing early today just for a little break. Don't worry, I'm paying you for the hours I close, but I'd like for you to have dinner with me and Ermanno."

"I'd love to, Dorothy, but I don't want to intrude." Nor did I want to be around her grandson. I was embarrassed after having walked out in front of his car the other day. That, and any time I was around him I felt so jittery.

"You're not intruding if I ask you. Please come, dear. My husband died a few years ago and I only have Ermanno left. I'd like to have you for company, as well."

Her words tugged at my heart. She was a lonely woman who just wanted company. I put aside my grievances about seeing her grandson and agreed.

Dorothy closed the store at five O'clock, three hours earlier than normal. I followed her in my car back to her house. She only lived about fifteen minutes from the store.

"You have a beautiful home," I commented when I stepped out of my car.

It was a small craftsman-style house. Her yard was an entire garden, full of small trees and other exotic plants. There was a gravel pathway through her yard, leading to various sections of the garden.

"Thank you. My husband, Donny, and I landscaped it shortly before he passed."

"I'm sorry to hear about him."

She sighed but shook her head. "I loved that man, but he wasn't meant to be with us anymore. He was sick. His quality of life was very poor. It hurt when he left, but I know he's not in pain anymore. It brings me peace."

"I'm glad you kept the garden alive. It's a nice tribute to him."

"I think so too."

When we entered the house, I helped Dorothy batter some chicken and then roll the chicken in crumbs. We were having fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese for dinner.

A permanent smile was etched on my face as I helped her in the kitchen. When I was with Michael, I always cooked. I never had help and he always expected dinner to be on the table when he arrived home from work. It was exhausting, considering I had a full-time job as well. Cooking with Dorothy was nothing like it used to be when I was alone though.

When we finished battering up the last of the chicken, I heard the front door open and close.

"Ermanno!" Dorothy greeted him when he walked into the kitchen.

"Hello," he greeted, hugging her when she wrapped her arms around him. My chest warmed at their interaction. The love they had for each other was obvious. It was precious.

"Anna is staying with us for dinner tonight. I thought she could use a break from her apartment and the store."

Ermanno glanced at me and nodded in my direction. I gave him a small wave in return.

"We're making fried chicken tonight. Your favorite."

"Sounds delicious."

"Now, Ermanno, take Anna's place. She's been on her feet all day."

"No, it's okay," I interjected.

"Nonsense," was her response.

I felt Ermanno's large body next to mine. The scent of his cologne infiltrated my senses. He smelled raw and masculine; it was an addictive scent. Michael never smelled good like that. He wouldn't have been able to pull off such a powerful scent, though.

He looked down at me, his dark brown eyes piercing into my own. He cocked his head, pointing with his chin toward the table- telling me to move.

I washed my hands quickly and then sat down at the kitchen table, thankful for the space from Ermanno.