23

Ermanno's POV

I'd made a realization, one I still wasn't sure how to feel about. I no longer held resentment or anger toward Jessica. Yes, I was glad she was dead, but that was all.

I wasn't angry anymore. I didn't spend my nights and the overwhelming majority of the day asking questions that couldn't be answered. I simply didn't care anymore. And the alarming reality was that I didn't care about my indifference.

Ansley had caused this. She had erased all my harbored resentment toward Jessica. I no longer had any energy to feel anything toward her. I only felt for Ansley.

And that didn't alarm me at all like it once had. I welcomed it. Wanted it. Wanted her.

"You and Michael received a notice today that a divorce hearing won't be necessary," I told her as she got ready for bed.

Her eyes widened and went a bit erratic as she scanned my face. "There was a possibility of a court hearing? Why didn't you tell me that?"

"I'm sorry, Fiore. I knew there was a possibility, but I would've taken care of it anyway. In your divorce file, I included that you had suffered emotional and physical abuse. I was betting that including that was negate the hearing, and I was right. I didn't want you to worry about it, so I didn't mention it."

"I never want to see him again, Ermanno."

The way she looked at me, like she needed me, made me think terrible things, things I'd sworn off since Jessica.

"You won't ever have to," I said. I slid into my bed next to her and she wrapped her arms around me. Fuck, I could die happy right there, surrounded by her and only her.

"You'll never have to see him again," I promised again, placing a few kisses along her hairline.

Ansley's POV

His arms were strong around me, protective and stable. I never wanted him to let me go. When I was with him, in his embrace, it felt like I was invincible. Like all the worries I had, all my trauma just vanished.

He kissed along my hairline, but I wanted more. I lifted my neck as I wrapped my hand around the back of his head and pressed our lips together.

I was hungry for him. Starving actually. I pressed my lips harshly into his, a bruising kiss, not at all soft. He responded with equal fervor. He was on top of me within seconds, pinning me against the mattress with his large body. I felt him, hard against my thigh.

He was hungry for me too.

I spread my legs wider and welcomed his full body between them. Nothing felt as right as this did. Nothing.

My hands raked down his naked back and I felt each dip and hard plane of his muscles. He was beautiful and so strong.

"Ermanno," I said.

"Yes, Fiore?" His voice was husky and full of promise.

"Will you touch me?" My face was blazing as I posed the question, but I'd never meant something more. I needed to feel him. There was a fire burning inside me that on my he could extinguish. Well, I doubted he could extinguish it. The opposite actually, only make the flames burn hotter.

He pulled back from my lips and looked into my eyes. "Touch you," he repeated.

"Yes," I nodded. "Touch me." To emphasize my words, I parted my legs more.

He groaned and pressed his lips to mine once more before pulling away again. He grabbed the bottom hem of the shirt I was wearing, which happened to be one of his, and pulled it over my head.