Chapter Seven

An hour later I had finished telling them what happened and they had called my mother. My mom ran in and hugged me tightly. “Sweetheart are you alright?! I never should have let you girls go. This is my fault. You didn’t deserve to see that.” She spoke quickly and her voice was full of worry. I almost started crying again “No mom. This is my fault. I begged you to let us go.” Tears started to blur my vision. The police officer walked back in with a look of sorrow “Four of the bodies have been found so far. Two little girls and two teenagers.” Only four? What about Milly’s body? Did she somehow escape? No. I’m sure I was the only one to make it out. My mother then spoke “Only four? There should be five.” “Yes we know but this clown could have hidden her body somewhere we won’t find it for a while. It’s not uncommon in cases like these.” The police answered. All of a sudden her radio had shouting coming from it. There was a lot of static that was cutting the words up and making it hard to understand. “Clown...Send...HELP!” The police officer that was calling in sounded frightened when he yelled help. There was silence for a good 20 seconds before there was talking...the clown. “Bring me the girl by midnight. Every hour that she isn’t here I will kill another one of your officers.” His voice was deep and scary. “H-He wants me?” I said. I was frightened and shaking. My mother held me close. “No. Absolutely not. We are not giving her to that monster! I will not lose my other daughter!” She said tears forming in her eyes. “Now Ms. Peterson I never said anything about sacrificing her. But we need to find a way to get the other officers out safely.” The officer responded. “I’ll sacrifice myself for them,” I whispered. “No, you’re not Samantha!” My mother said looking at me. “Yes, I am! It’s the least I can do for getting the others killed!.” I raised my voice a little. “Samantha.” The police officer said as she sat down. “Let us handle this. There is no need to go and get yourself killed.” Her voice was calm and she took my hand. I pulled my hand away “I will do this and you won’t stop me!” I shouted as I ran out of the room. I heard my mother and the officer yelling after me but I didn’t care. I knew what needed to be done. They just didn’t understand that this was the only way.