Prompt 1: Father

Abigail’s father was a loving man to her which is why it was hard for her to adjust to the whole murdering thing. She never had the chance to fully adjust before he was killed. When Hannibal and Will adopted her, she thought she finally had a chance at a new life, but of course that would never pan out for her. 

     After living with them for a short while she recognized the tense looks between the two at meals, the hushed arguments in the kitchen, how they’d leave at ungodly hours and come home through a side door she can’t seem to find. There had to be a reasonable, non-murderous, explanation. There’s no way her new dads are just like her old one. 

      But her brain wouldn’t drop the idea, there was something going on, and she was going to get to the bottom of it. On a Friday, she told them she was going out to Marissa’s, instead she snuck into Hannibal’s trunk. It was lined with clear plastic and felt unreasonably cold for mid July, making her glad she brought a blanket. She was going to use it like a pillow, but warmth seemed more important. 

     Abigail waited for a little under 30 minutes before she heard voices in the garage, they were muffled and she couldn’t make out the exact words. They were quiet for the majority of the drive, an occasional comment here and there that worried her more. The ride was bumpy but the trunk didn’t seem to move around as much as she’d assumed. Eventually the hum of the engine stopped, she heard the doors open then close and she heard a third muffled voice. The third voice became screams, confirming her suspicions. Her new dads kill people. 

     Her breath became thin and the trunk felt like it was closing in on her. She felt tears sting the edges of her eyes as she pushed against one side of the trunk trying to hide. Outside they had just finished up the kill. Hannibal popped the trunk as Will hauled the body to it, immediately noticing Abigail. 

     Dropping the body, Will called out, “Abigail was in the trunk!” , before pulling her into a hug and rocking her.

     Hannibal chuckled, “I know,” when he received no response he continued, "Is she okay?"

     Will shot him a glare, though he was hidden by the car, "No! Shit! Get your ass over here and help me."

     Hannibal practically ran to Will's side, terrified of his husband's wrath. He knelt down and took Abigail from Will and put her hand on his chest.

     "Try to match your breathing to mine." Hannibal took deep breaths, seeing Abigail's breathing even out after a while, making him smile.

     She jumped up and started running, and they let her. Well, Hannibal let her and held Will back from going after her. She ran until her legs felt like jelly and her side like it'd been stabbed. Collapsing on the side of the road, she caught her breath. Having to tell the cops was apparent, the scar on her neck a reminder of what might happen if she didn't. She saw headlights coming her way and sprung back to her feet, stumbling a bit, as she started running again.

      The car caught up to her, obviously, but she tried to keep going, ending in her legs giving out. Abigail fell onto the rocky road, cutting up her knees and hands. Her whole body screamed in pain, she gave up and let Hannibal pull her into the car.

     He fret over her wounds, surprising her with his gentleness. She supposed it shouldn't surprise her, he was like this in the past, but it still caught her off guard.

     Carefully he extracted the pebbles from her wounds, "We've never fed you our catches."

     Will, keeping his eyes fixed on the road, added, "We want to give you a choice. Just didn't know how to bring it up."

      The tense air dissipated slightly as a silence filled the air. Hannibal washed her wounds thoroughly with water Will had brought, then gave her a small warning before disinfecting them, finishing it off by wrapping them with gauze and medical tape.

     “We’ll have to change those once a day. That is, if you want to stay with us.”

     Abigail thought for a while before answering, “I-I don’t want a part in any of this. Which means I’ll be making my own food. As long as you guys don’t get too bad…. I’ll stay.”

     “You won’t have to make your own food. I’m sure we can slow down until you're out of the house.” Will said, laughing at the pointed look Hannibal gave him.

     They may not be what she wanted, but they seem to care about her. The truth now out, she lets herself finally accept her new fathers.