Chapter Eight : "What Get's Burned Stays Dead."

"What Get's Burned Stays Dead."
Chapter Eight :

The ride was long and boring and occupying two kids on a rather long road trip is something no one wants to deal with. Julia fell asleep in a matter of minutes, her hair messy and knotted from the wind. Jack on the other hand was eager to hunt monsters and play the part of a hero he'd seen so many times in movies and whatnot.

The sound of the engine turning off was enough to wake the sleeping nephilim. She closed her mouth, brushing strands of hair from her face. "Are we here?" She croaked out, clearing her now dry throat. "Yeah." Sam said, flipping through multiple fake IDs. Jack was now impatiently awaiting directions, his hands placed on his knees comfortably. Jack quickly furrowed his brows after peering over Sam's rather broad shoulders and seeing what he was doing. "Agent Bonham,.. Agent Seger, Special Agent Anderson." He read the names aloud, "These are you?"

Sam glanced upwards to the victim's house before bothering to answer the two. "Uh, yeah. Sometimes." "I thought lying was wrong." Julia stated plainly. She pushed herself back onto the black leathered seat adjusting her green and white flannel.

The youngest Winchester didn't seem to care as he kept working prompting Dean to speak, "All right, here we go." He pulled out a pen and notepad ready to take down important details for the case. "Victim Wes Bailey. His wife, Erica, died six months ago." He cleared his throat, "Heart thing, out of the blue. Uh, question is, why'd she come back from the dead and knife his ass?" Dean gave Sam a look expecting some theory.

"People come back?" The boy asked in a sweet tone. Dean gave him a quick but noticeable look, one that said he was annoyed. Sam looked up, "When a person dies and their soul can't move on."-- "They're called ghosts." Dean interrupted, glancing back at the two who were impatiently listening. "And hanging around makes them go loony tunes." Dean stopped for a moment realizing they wouldn't understand what that means. "Uh, they go crazy."

"Yeah, question is, since when do ghosts kill somebody and walk out the front door?" Sam asked, looking out the window and up at the house.

"So maybe it's a revenant." Dean suggested, his lips drew in a thin line visibly in thought.

Julia leaned up from the seat, "Wait." - "What's a revenant?" She asked in a rather eager tone. Her eyes danced between the two older men.

"A revenant's more like a-a zombie." Sam answered in a calm tone.
"Hey, there's our witness." Dean pointed towards a middle aged woman, watering her plants. Julia and Jack followed his gaze to the woman.

Sam opened the door, "Jack, Julia, we're gonna talk to the witness, check out the crime scene." He said, letting himself out of the vehicle. He started walking off towards the woman out of view from the two kids. Julia almost immediately went to let herself out, but was gently pushed back by Dean. "You stay. Sit." Dean's stern voice startled them both. He doesn't say another word, instead trailing off to find Sam.

"What." Julia mouthed, bewildered. She let's out a scoff, crossing her arms. Slowly a large frown spreads across her face. "I thought we were supposed to help." She whined, turning to look at Jack. "Guess not." He leaned back, a look of sheer disappointment on his face.

It was only a few minutes before Julia grew restless, her nap had only made this worse. This is so boring, why do we have to stay here? Maybe I can find something to do. She reached in the front seat, rummaging through the boys things only to find Dean's collection of classic music. "What is this?" She examined the tape, flipping it upside down and dragging her finger along the plastic. Jack's curiosity peaked, he leaned upwards. "What are you doing?" She lifted the tape up so he could see. "It doesn't do anything." With that, she threw it down on the front seat. She collapsed into the backseat with a huff.