lychees

Mashiro had just returned home from the interview with Mr. Hattori when somebody was knocking on the door. He was up in his room, so his mother answered it.

"Hello," He heard the voice floating up from downstairs. "I was wondering if you've seen Y/n today,"

Mashiro stopped. Y/n? Why would her mother be asking that? The only reason would be if . . .

"Moritaka!" His mother called. "Is L/n with you?"

"No, she isn't," He clambered down the stairs. He saw Y/n's mother, who seemed winded and favoring her left foot. "I saw her at school today, if that's what you're asking,"

The woman tried very hard to repress her anger. He knew she didn't believe him. "If you want proof, you can look all you want, she won't be here."

"Moritaka!" His mother whisper-shouted. "Don't accuse her of such things."

But his gaze didn't waver, and neither did Mrs. L/n. But, she conceded and left, apologizing for the interruption.

As soon as he returned to his room, he gave Takagi a call. "Did L/n's mom drop by your place?"

"Yeah." Takagi replied. "She was looking for her. Do you think she's . . ."

"We did give her a spare key for whenever she felt like hiding there," Mashiro thought.

"Yikes!" Takagi exclaimed. "Saiko, do you think we're harboring a criminal?"

"Let's go see if she's there, Shujin." And hung up.

Y/n was just about to dig into her ramen cup when the two manga geeks entered.

"What have you done?!" Takagi exclaimed dramatically. "You run away from home and then go here to incriminate us?"

"You won't be incriminated if I don't get caught," She said, putting her chopsticks down.

Mashiro sat down next to her on the sofa. "The only people who know about this place are my family and Miyoshi. Miyoshi would never snitch, and my family doesn't think much about this place." He said, then turned to Takagi. "She could probably live here for the rest of her life."

"NO!" He bellowed. When the two other kids looked at him funny, he cleared his throat and said, "N-no offense, L/n, but this is kinda . . . our place."

Mashiro raised his eyebrows. "Technically, it's my place. You're just mooching off of me."

"Hey!" He flung his arms up. "I pay my fair share of taxes as well!"

"I know, I'm just joking."

Y/n crossed her legs. "I wasn't planning on staying here for very long."

Takagi looked at the steaming cup of ramen in front of her. "You gonna eat that?"

"I was, but then I remembered that I don't like this cheap ramen." She turned her nose up at it, so he snatched the cup and chopsticks and started eating.

Y/n didn't attend school that day, but she went back once it let out for the day and found Takagi.

"You're coming with me," She pulled on his arm.

"Wait!" He wailed. "Saiko! Wait for meeeee!"

As they walked further, she let go of his arm. "Where are we going anyway?" He asked.

"We're gonna spy on my family," She didn't look back.

He stopped walking. "Are you crazy? They're gonna catch you!"