one

1. today's the day

Sarai
"SHAY!"
"SOMEONE HELP ME!"
"SOMEONE... ANYONE?"
The blood. There was so much blood. Why there was so much blood?

I popped up in my bed out of breath. I felt sweat dripping down my face. Two seconds later, my alarm went off. I exhaled out of annoyance and turned it off. Why was I having this dream?

I got out of bed and headed into my bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror and I looked like shit. I stripped out of my clothes and got in the shower. I let the water rain down on me waking me up. Once I finished, I wrapped a towel around me and went into my bedroom to look for some clothes. I put on some high waisted jeans, a black tank top, and a pair of old white converses. I put my hair in a low bun before I grabbed my keys, phone, and bag heading out.

I got into my car and started driving. I started to zone out as I remembered my dream, I didn't know why I was dreaming about what happened seven years ago. I thought I had gotten over it. I know I had gotten over it.

I was so zoned out that I didn't realize that I had parked my car at the cafe I was meeting my best friend at. I snapped from my thoughts and got out of the car. I walked into the cafe and it smelled like vanilla. I walked to one of the tables and sat across my best friend JJ.

"Hey." I said sitting down.

"Finally." JJ said being dramatic. "Took you long enough, I'm starving."

"Sorry. Traffic." I lied.

"You're here now so I guess we can order."JJ said.

One of the waiters came over to us to take our order I ordered strawberry shortcake French toast with maple syrup and powdered sugar, spinach omelette, turkey sausage, and a glass of orange juice. JJ ordered steak and eggs with biscuits and gravy and a glass of sweet tea. While we waited for our food to come, I was scrolling through instagram until I ended up looking at todays date. My heart got heavy. It felt like I couldn't breathe.

"Ari!" JJ said. "Ari, are you listening?"

I snapped from my thoughts and looked up at JJ. "What?"

"Everything ok?" JJ asked.

"It-it's today." I said.

"What is?" JJ questioned.

"Shay's birthday." I spoke.

"Oh my god. Are you ok?" JJ asked.

I nodded afraid to speak.

"Is there anything I can do?" JJ asked.

"No." I said. "I'll be fine."

"You sure?" JJ asked. "You know I'm-"

"Yea I'm sure. What were you saying before?" I said changing the subject.

I knew that JJ wanted to talk about it, but I wasn't in the mood too. So she let it go. Shay was a hurt topic for me to talk about.

"Iman and I finally moved into our place and we're having a little house party. I wanted you to come but you don't have too. I know you got a lot going on right now." JJ said.

I reached to grab JJ's hand. "JJ you are my best friend. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

JJ smiled. "Ok."

The rest of the time we were there, we talked and for once I had a good time. It was nice to talk about other things that wasn't about me or what happened seven years.

Adonis

I knocked on the door and within a few seconds the door opened.

"AJ!" Zae said.