eight

8. fuck apologies

Adonis

What the fuck?

Did she just say what I think she just said?

"Jamal raped me back in high school and Quin knew about it because she set me up." Sarai spoke.

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Yea I'm fucking serious." Sarai said.

"When did this happen?" I asked.

"Iman's graduation party." Sarai said.

"Jesus. Sarai why didn't you tell me?" I said.

Sarai shrugged. "I only told Shay and JJ. I didn't think you would believe me because you were with them and I knew after what happened you didn't want to speak to me again."

"Sarai..."

I stopped because I didn't know what to say. I wanted to tell her that I was sorry that that happened to her. I wanted to tell her that I was sorry for being a fucking asshole. That I was sorry for not being there for when this happened and when her brother died.

But right now all I wanna do right now is punch that nigga in his fucking face.

"I'll be back." I said.

I walked away from Sarai not giving her the chance to say anything. I walked over to where Iman, Zae, and Jamal was. They looked up at me but I just stared at Jamal.

"Yo Adonis, you good?" Iman asked.

I nodded.

"Yea what the hell happened? Sarai went total psycho on Quin. That was funny as hell and also hot." Zae said.

"Oh come on guys, that's my girl you talking about. Besides ain't nothing how about that fat bitch." Jamal said.

"The fuck you say?" I said.

Jamal looked over at me confused. "What? It's true."

"That's not what I heard." I said.

"What are you talking about?" Jamal asked.

"You talk all this shit about Sarai but I know what you did to her." I said.

"What the fuck is going on?" Iman asked.

"If you're talking about what happened in high school, I mean she wanted it. Sarai was nothing but a slut. I mean I'm sorry if you had to get my sloppy seconds." Jamal said smiling.

Without hesitation, I punched this bitch nigga in his face. The next thing I knew I was on top of him kicking his ass. Iman and Zae pulled me off of him. I looked down at him and his nose looked broken but I didn't give a fuck. I wanted to kill him so bad.

I walked away and headed back over to Sarai who looked shocked.

"Come on, let's get out of here." I said.

Sarai

What the fuck just happened?

Adonis just punched Jamal in the face and from where I stood, it looked like Jamal's nose was broken. I had never seen Adonis so angry. Was it because of me?

The car ride was silent.

Over x Lucky Daye was playing in the car and was the only thing that was relieving the tension. But honestly, I didn't know what to think right now. Too many things were happening and I couldn't figure out how to wrap my brain around everything.

"So we just not gonna talk about it?" I finally spoke.

Adonis sighed. "Talk about what Sarai?"

"How you just beat the shit out of one your best friends." I said.

Adonis sucked his teeth. "Jamal was never my friend and he was nothing but a bitch ass nigga anyway."

"Adonis... I'm sorry." I said.

I looked over at Adonis who was staring at me. I could tell that there was still anger in his eyes.

"What?" I questioned. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You ain't got nothing to be sorry for Sarai. All you ever did was be the person that you are and you don't say sorry for that." Adonis said. "You hear me?"

I was shocked. I had never seen this side of Adonis before even when we were friends. He was always cool, calm, and collected and seeing him like this was something I wasn't expecting. It was scary.

"You want to go get something to eat?" Adonis asked.

I nodded afraid to speak.

Adonis made a left turn and drove for a couple more minutes. While we were driving I zoned out thinking about what Jamal did to me at Iman's party.

His dirty hands touching me and doing whatever he wanted.

I was too drunk and weak to fight or move because Quin kept giving me drinks which now thinking about it had roofies in it.

That fucking bitch!

"Sarai!"

I looked up and saw Adonis trying to get my attention. When I realized where we wee I couldn't help but get goosebumps and smile. We were at the diner where we first met.

"Holy shit, are we..." I said.

"Yup." Adonis said.

I smiled. "This place hasn't changed a bit."

"I know surprised it's still here." Adonis said.

Soon both of us got quiet. I guess we didn't know what to say to each other. I just kept looking at my menu hoping the words would change. But they didn't and my eyes were getting blurry. I blinked a few times and then my eyes went over to Adonis' hand. It was bruised and covered with blood. I put my many down and grabbed his hand.

"Jesus. Does it hurt?" I asked.

Adonis pulled his hand away. "Nah not really."

I knew he was lying but I didn't want to push it.

"You didn't have to hit him, you know?" I said.

"Yea I did. Jamal is an asshole and has been since high school. He had that shit coming." Adonis said.

"That's true but I dealt with him a long time ago." I said. "I don't need you or anyone taking care of my problems. I can handle myself."

"I know but Sarai, you gotta stop letting motherfuckers keep fucking you over." Adonis said.

"Like how you did?" I snapped.

I didn't mean what I said and I wanted to take it back as soon as I said it. Adonis put his menu down and just looked at me. His stare was intense and suddenly I wasn't so hungry.

"Can you just take me home?" I asked.

Adonis didn't say nothing and just got up from the table. I slowly followed behind me thinking of what to say. But as Adonis drove I couldn't.

We stopped in front of my place and before I had the chance to get out Adonis grabbed my wrist. I looked over at him and he had the same intense stare at the diner.

"I know I wasn't the best friend I was in high school. But I was a kid and I was fucking stupid. I'm not saying you can't take care of yourself cause we both know you can. Shit you can beat my ass. But I'm just saying that I want to be the friend I was back when we were in high school. Not gonna lie I missed you all these years and it's fucked up that it took me the long to realize that you were the best thing in my life." Adonis said.

I was speechless.

I didn't know what to say.

"Good night Adonis." I said getting out the car and going inside.