Chapter 1: the start of our days

Trigger warnings:

- mention of abuse

- mention of suicide

- mention of self harm

Mia's perspective:

I woke up due to the sun shining right into my eyesight, as I turned around, I tried to reach for my alarm clock when I realized I wasn't in my father's house. I jumped up and looked around to discover I accidently fell asleep in my hut, I know I'll be in trouble for this, but I'm not bothered. As I stand there, I appreciate the beauty of the little hut I build in these woods, full of big trees and animals, once more.

I grab my bag and search for deodorant, "I haven't showered in a long time" I think to myself. I put on a lot of the deodorant and wipe some dirt of my jeans. After organising the place I slept in, I head of to find my bike.

As soon as I'm on my bike the realization kicks in, another day of school, another day of getting bullied by Stephanie and her stupid friend group, I don't get it, we used to be friends and now she beats me every day... I feel inside my pocket and discover the knife I took from our school's kitchen yesterday, a weird feeling of hope blooms inside of me. "That can come in handy, it'll show them!" I think to myself, and I start biking faster.

I arrive at our dull looking school, park my bike and walk to the entrance, I keep looking for Stephanie on my way, but I don't spot her. I keep my hand on the knife in my pocket, just in case. As I walk into class, Stephanie still isn't here. I look around to see there's only one table for two people left, I sit down knowing Stephanie will have to sit beside me. Usually I would panic, but the knife gives me a feeling of safety. I unpack my books as our teacher walks in, angry looking as usual.

Stephanie's perspective:

Riiiing Riiiiiing

''Ugh'' I reach out for my phone to turn of the alarm. ''And I was sleeping so nicely...'' I thought to myself. Well, not really. Yesterday my boyfriend beat the living shit out of me.... All just because I told him I wasn't ready to sleep with him yet. Not like I'll ever be ready for that... I get up to take a look at my phone. ''SHIT, it's that late already?!'' I yell surprised. Ugh, my dumb ass put the alarm at 8:00 instead of 7:00 and now mom's going to be angry again. Not like it'll ever be good enough for her though. I look at my arm. It's covered in cuts and burned spots. No, my boyfriend didn't do that. That was me.... Yea, I know that self-harm is pathetic. Honestly, I am pathetic. My parents hate me, my grades are shit, none of my friends are real and my boyfriend abuses me. I also do drugs occasionally. Where did it all go wrong? I want to cry, but I can't. I'm overflowing with emotion yet numb at the same time.

I look to my left and pick up a tiny razor blade, covered in blood. I slowly move it towards my wrist. I scrunch my nose as the cold blade rips open my skin. Blood seeps out. Just as I'm about to make another one I stop. ''Oh yea, I forgot I'm late...'' I manage to get myself out of bed. I remove my pyjamas and look at myself in the mirror. I'm skinny, pale and covered in wounds. Lately my boyfriend has been getting more and more aggressive. I make sure to wear clothes that cover my entire body to make sure that nobody notices. Not like anyone would care... Nobody loves me. Maybe I should just... Riiiiiing Riiiing. I'm snapped out of thought when my phone rings. It's probably my teacher wondering where I am. I don't care, I just let it ring for a while. It stops after a few seconds.

I go to the bathroom to wash my face. I see a big bruise. ''Ugh, now I have to cover that up too.'' I grab my make-up bag and start to cover up my pale face, hiding the bruise and dark circles that have formed under my eyes. I grab my books and go straight to school.

As I'm walking to school, I can feel my stomach rumble. I didn't have breakfast. In fact, I believe I haven't eaten anything in two days. It's not like I deserve to eat. As I approach the school, I get more nervous. What if I get detention?! My boyfriend wants to see me after school, he'll be pissed if I'm late. I stop walking and look at the bright red door in front of me. I take a deep breath as I grab the doorknob and push it down.

Mia's perspective:

Stephanie walks into class; she looks stressed as she quickly walks to the table beside me and throws her books on the table. She doesn't say anything to me, she just looks at me in disgust and sits down. ''Where did you come from Mrs. Harper?'' Stephanie doesn't answer, "Alright then, detention for you." We continue the lesson, but my attention is focused on Stephanie, she looks miserable. Her make-up looks rushed, and I can clearly see black circles under her eyes. I'm used seeing her as some kind of ruler, but this, this almost makes me feel sorry for whatever happened to her.

God, I tell myself, look at what she does to you, why would you feel sorry? I touch my stomach and feel the pain again from when they beat me. It hurts so bad; they threw me on the ground and started kicking me in the stomach... It felt like they would never stop... I look to my left and see Stephanie staring at her book, this doesn't seem like the Stephanie who hurts me...

I want to ask her if she's okay, but I don't know how she would react, I mean, I never sit with her in class, and she bullies me... Even though I know it's dumb, I decide to ask her. I mean, I can't just sit here, right? "Hey... Are you okay...?" I ask. My heartbeat raising as she slowly turns her head and stares at me. In those few second a million thoughts go through my head, "why did I do that, god, why do I feel weird, should I be scared? I don't feel scared though- shit shit shit...." Yet all she does is look at me with tired eyes, I'm in some sort of trance as I hear the teacher call my name "Mia, I notice your chatting in my class?" "O- oh- I'm so sorry Miss..." I stutter. ''It's okay, but don't let it happen again.''

Stephanie's perspective:

Did that weird girl just ask me if I'm okay? Usually I'd make a snarky comment, but now I'm too tired for that. She probably noticed the bruise through my rushed make-up. Well, it doesn't matter. I have more important things on my mind, like how my boyfriend is going to beat the living shit out of me when I see him again...

''Hey! I asked if you're okay. Answer me!'', Mia suddenly yells. I'm shocked by her aggression. Usually she's very scared of me, because me and my friends often beat her up. I don't know why, but I detest her. ''What do you want?!'' I growl angrily. She looks at me with a scared, yet annoyed face. I guess that makes sense... After all, she's just trying to be nice. ''sorry, I'm fine.'', I quietly whisper. A pink blush appears on my cheeks as she smiles softly. I look up to find my teacher in front of us, looking furious. ''What did I tell you two?! Mia, you have detention too!'' I snap back into reality. Oh yea, detention. I almost forgot.