Ring Around the Rosie

"Ring Around the Rosie"

My heart pounded in my ears, the haunting melody ringing out in the air. I ran like my life depended on it. No, because my life depended on it.

"A pocket full of posies"

I ran faster. She is gaining on me! My breath became panicked and frantic. The world around me started to blur.

"Ashes, ashes,"

I could feel her cold, lifeless hands and the back of my neck. Her breath hit my ear.

"We all. Fall. DOWN!"

She let out a cackle, letting me go. I was confused. I should be dead but-

"Ring Around the Rosie"

No...She's not done...I took off into a sprint.

"What do you suppose we"

The legend says she won't kill until she has finished her song. Clearly she isn't done, so I still have time!

"Can do"

Why did I take this dare?!?! I'm only going to get killed! No one will know, my sister will be all alone. I have to fight, I have to make it out. For her.

"To fight the darkness"

I could see light in the distance. Yes! I'm almost out! Just a little farther! I ran faster.

"In which. We. DROWN."

The trees close up. My hopes fell. I stumbled for a moment as the despair set it.

"Ring Around the Rosie"

I could just barely hear her. There is no escape. I curled into a ball on the ground and cried. I'm sorry Meli. Big brother isn't coming home.

"This evil thing it knows me"

She is getting closer. No escape. This is the end... Tears ran down my face as I accepted my fate.

"Lost ghosts surround me"

I opened my eyes to look into her gray ones. A haunting black sclera surrounding the light, haunting color.

"I can't. Fall. Down!"

Everything went dark.