Chapter 7: Underwater Tunnel

Ryujin and Chaeryeong had already changed their clothes. Currently, all they could see was a view of the thick forest. The old lantern that Ryujin had taken from the graveyard illuminated the inside of the coach, occasionally swaying in the wind. Ryujin took out her tablet and, as expected, there was no line coverage in that world. She sighed slowly, trying to calm herself after the mess she had gone through a few minutes earlier. The image of that Pocong played in her mind.

"Are you okay, Ryujin?" Chaeryeong asked, placing her hand on Ryujin's thigh.

Ryujin smiled wryly and put her tablet back in her bag.

"I don't think so. It was overwhelming. I won't lie, I'm not okay. I was too afraid," she admitted. Chaeryeong nodded sympathetically, her smile weak.

"Will this be our last stop?" Chaeryeong inquired, gazing out at the dark expanse outside the coach.

"I don't know. Why?" Ryujin rested her head on Chaeryeong's shoulder.

"I hope it's the last stop. Then we can go back to Dabong. I want to return to Korea already. This country has too many mysterious places," Chaeryeong chuckled, leaning her head onto Ryujin's.

Ryujin laughed. Chaeryeong looked at Ryujin, who laughed with an annoyed look.

"You're right. I also want to go back home. Have you read Jisu's blog?" Ryujin asked after shifting her seating and sitting upright.

"Yes. But why is ours different from hers?" Chaeryeong wondered.

She had read the blog and still remembered Jisu's experience in the cave. That's what motivated her to come into this world. Apparently, the first stop at Pangkalan Kubur was already challenging, not to mention the next one.

"Everyone might be assigned to different stops," Ryujin speculated.

Chaeryeong nodded in agreement.

Ponnnn!

The sound of the coach's horn startled them. Ryujin stood up to look outside and saw a tunnel right in front of them.

"We're going into the tunnel!" Ryujin shouted.

"Noooo!" Chaeryeong exclaimed.

She closed her eyes and covered her ears, unable to bear the sight of the Pontianak flying and the screams they had heard before. The lantern was blown away by the strong wind. The coach entered the tunnel area. Coach 13 became engulfed in darkness. Ryujin braced herself, preparing for all possibilities. The coach felt like it was going downhill.

"Why does this coach feel like it's going down? I feel like throwing up," Chaeryeong complained.

The train slowed down, and the coach started to be illuminated. Both of them looked around and gaped at what they saw. They were in an underwater tunnel!

Fish swam around the water tunnel as the train moved very slowly. Ryujin and Chaeryeong were stunned by the mesmerizing view outside the transparent tunnel. It was beyond their belief.

"Is there a station in the sea, Ryujin?" Chaeryeong exclaimed in amazement.

Three stingrays gracefully swam past them, a sight they rarely witnessed with their own eyes. In 2030, due to severe pollution in the sea, the fish were mostly farmed in artificial ponds.

"It's beautiful," Ryujin whispered in admiration.

Suddenly, two to three sharks appeared out of nowhere and attacked a group of fish, attempting to eat them. The fish scattered in a desperate attempt to save themselves. Chaeryeong, filled with fear, hid behind the window, afraid of catching the attention of the sharks.

"Why are you hiding by the window?" Ryujin asked, noticing Chaeryeong's behavior.

"I'm afraid the sharks will see me," Chaeryeong replied.

Ryujin burst into laughter.

"Hahaha! We're in a tunnel. The sharks are outside," Ryujin said, trying to reassure Chaeryeong.

Ekkkkkk! Ekkkkk!

Ryujin and Chaeryeong turned their heads towards the sound. They saw a black object the size of a house approaching the tunnel. Chaeryeong immediately sat down, hiding herself, while Ryujin stood up to get a better look at what was coming towards them. Most of the fish had already fled.

"Is that a whale?" Ryujin wondered to herself.

The sea suddenly became empty.

"Eh? Where did all the fish go?"

Ryujin and Chaeryeong's gaze fixated on a swarm of voracious fish rapidly approaching from afar. Ryujin narrowed her eyes, studying the agile movement of the fish as they darted towards the tunnel. She noticed their menacing rows of sharp teeth, jaws wide open.

"OH MY GOD! Sea piranhas! They're trying to attack us!" Ryujin exclaimed, followed by Chaeryeong seeking refuge behind the seat once again.

"Relax. They can't reach us. We're in an area without water. Piranhas inhabit aquatic environments," Ryujin reassured Chaeryeong, attempting to alleviate her fear.

Buk! Buk! Buk!

The oncoming piranhas collided with the tunnel, their razor-sharp jaws clamping onto the transparent barrier. Small leaks of water began to seep through. The fish thrashed and gnawed at the surface, causing the leaks to grow larger. Panic surged within Ryujin as she sensed the train moving agonizingly slow. She glanced ahead towards the front of the train.

"Hey! The tunnel is leaking! Please, drive faster! This coach might flood if the hole gets bigger!" Ryujin yelled, desperately hoping her plea would reach the imaginary train driver.

As soon as Ryujin finished screaming, the train accelerated. She looked back at the spot where the piranhas were fiercely attacking the transparent barrier. Water began to gush in.

The coach jolted violently, prompting Ryujin to grip the handlebar tightly, struggling to maintain her balance. Chaeryeong's terrified screams filled the air. Ryujin steadied herself and glanced behind. The tunnel was rapidly filling up with water, inching closer to the coach.

Before long, Ryujin noticed another tunnel up ahead, connected to the underwater tunnel. The sound of the train's horn reverberated through the air. The speed remained unabated. The coach entered the tunnel, plunging into darkness. Ryujin's hand throbbed from clutching the handlebar so tightly. The coach swayed even more, intensifying the disorienting sensation. Then, Ryujin felt the coach ascending. Dizziness overwhelmed her. The coach jerked abruptly. Chaeryeong, paralyzed with fear, could only tremble.

Gradually, the train began to decelerate. Ryujin released her grip on the handlebar, sinking into her seat as the coach stabilized. Dizziness still lingered, obscuring her senses. The surroundings remained engulfed in darkness. Finally, the train moved at an excruciatingly slow pace, entering a platform area. Ryujin peered outside.

"A subway station?" she murmured in disbelief.

The train came to an abrupt halt, and the coach doors opened. Nausea churned in Ryujin's stomach. She hurriedly stepped out of the coach, rushing to a nearby trash can to empty her stomach. Chaeryeong followed, providing support and gently massaging Ryujin's back while surveying the station. It appeared to be an abandoned underground station, worn and desolate. The platform was littered with dust, soil, and debris. Leaks dripped from the ceiling, some areas even caved in. Chaeryeong's eyes fixated on the slanted platform signboard, displaying English text.

"Eurasia Island? Seriously? Eurasia Island?" Chaeryeong questioned, her voice tinged with disbelief.

Ryujin, attentively listening, turned her gaze towards the slanted signboard.

"What?! Eurasia Island?!" she exclaimed, startled by the revelation.

---

A/n: We wont be having more ghosts in this island. Both Ryuryeong will be meeting Yeji soon! What kind of truth will be unfolded during their journey in the Eurasia Island? Stay tuned!