Prologue

"It will all get better." they said.

"No reason to worry." they said.

"We as people have changed and we as a country shall fight through our problems until they are no more!" they said. I learned not to listen to them.

Freak is a word I have heard too much in my life. Nothing more than a "freak", they call me, I'm not supposed to be a human, but a test subject, a subject that can be caged up and thrown around to all the scientists that want to poke inside my brain, trying to figure out how I work, function and control. A 16 year old girl who is a threat to peace, a threat to life and a threat to the world. I can't just be a teenage girl, a girl who loves food, books and the outdoors. I can't have a normal life where I go to college, get married and have normal children. Is this how the world was before the "outbreak"? I read history over and over again as a child. I sat in class and listened to stories of wars, stories of separations in every way and stories of those who won and lost. I could never understand people though, the illogical ways they think and then react. I guess I have always been different, even before this horrific outbreak. I'm an outcast, just like every kid in the US now and maybe even in the world.

There are a group of kids, who fight for their lives and stop for nothing. The kids are fearless and want their world to change. Last the world heard of them was a couple months after the camp's powers had fallen. They all fought themselves, adults and others within a world that had left everyone behind. A world that was a memory which people fought so hard to continue living in. They were our symbols. The kids who brought us out of the dark and led us into the light. Or so it was said. They broke the camps and tried to pick up and fix the broken system. They tried but failed, because how can you fix a system that is now normal. The old normal left behind, a memory, a desire, a life where you are not scared of everything, not scared of adults who call us monsters and certainly not scared of yourself. But that normal is just a thought, everyone waiting for it to become reality once again.

Daly, Stewart, Kimura, Meriwether. I know the names of almost every symbol, the ones who tried and still are not giving up. I know their history, their life, their abilities just like everyone else in this country. All the symbols are hunted as if they were the last of that species, I guess they are. They give us hope and the choice of change and that is dangerous to the fragile system. Dangerous to the so-called 'New America' and that's why we are meant to be dead or controlled. If we are all dead we are not dangerous, we are not a threat, if they control us they don't need to worry because we can't fight, but they haven't learned their lesson yet - we won't let ourselves be controlled and we certainly don't go out without a fight. I have always been called a spitfire in my life and I believe that it is time that I start to live up to my name.