seventeen.

Fat droplets of icy water shot down from the sky, smashing on her head and shoulders like exploding beads. The gradual increase in violent, incessant downpour of rain deafened her, shredding past her and desperately to the ground.

They cascaded down her cheeks, her eyelashes heavy from the buildup of rain. Soon, it was hard to even see where she was going; her breaths were heavy as she puffed the downpour of water from seeping into her mouth, her eyes squinted, vision obscured.

This was her cue to stop and seek shelter, hide under a tree— anything. But she didn't. Her legs remained static, her shoes releasing a pathetic slosh sound as she took slow-motion steps forward.

Her body trembled, the back of her neck heavy as she struggled to withstand the harsh temperature pressing against her skin. She tried to push down the bubbling anxiety and fight away the realization that she had no idea how to get home.

She pulled her legs forward, her rhythm picking up in waves. With each rapid breath, she fought not to inhale droplets of rain, coughing as the bitter petrichor took over the interior of her mouth.

Breathe.

Her heart was now pounding against her chest, each drum of its pump synced with the collision of her feet against the puddled cement road. Her legs were slowly giving up on her, her muscles numb from struggling against the icy cold shower she was drowning into.

A hitched breath threatened to send her plummeting to the hard floor. 

But like lightning, a sudden jolt of heat coursed through her body, the intensity of its warmth centered on her right arm.

Her sight was blurry. 

She could only focus on the hand that was now wrapped around her arm, pulling her like a magnet towards an unknown direction.

Before she knew it, the rain ceased from attacking her facial features, leaving her to wipe off the excess water from her face. The harsh shower of rain seemed to be hindered; she looked up in between chokes to find that she was under a large, bushy tree.

She blinked back rainwater, looking up beside her.

Like a dream, he stood beside her; his grey hoodie was a significantly darker shade from the rainfall. His chest heaved as he stared at her through tufts of soaked, jet black hair, his eyes indecipherable under the dim hues of the moonlight.

"Jeno..." the name left her mouth in an unintelligible whisper.

"What are you doing?" His voice cut through the air, fighting to be heard against the thrashing downpour.

Ru looked away, cheeks flushed. "I just... got lost."

The silence between them was loud, so much more prevalent than the background of brutal rain. She focused on the bright city lights over the railing of the road in front of them, feeling strangely disconnected, muted from the rest of the world.

She fought the urge to look at him, but her eyes peeked curiously in his direction. What the hell was he doing here, in the rain with her?

She couldn't tell what he was looking at, what he was thinking, the steadiness of his features like a brick wall as she struggled to see through his tensed demeanor.

Ru cleared her throat.

"How did it go—"

Jeno snapped his body in her direction, his hands tucked into the pockets of his hoodie; he straightened the dampened material.

"What's wrong?" His voice reverberated in a low hum.

"What—" she shook her head, eyes flickering in any direction but his— "n-nothing."