Chapter 34:

Monse's POV:
"You gotta go before Cesar gets back. I'll tell him what you told me but not today." I walk back into the room. Cesar better get back soon 'cause I'm losing my shit. My grandpa acted like he didn't know anything and he got my dad killed. I try distracting myself 'cause when I think of what he did it makes me sick... literally. "We should be back within the hour with results." The nurse looks exhausted when he brings Cesar back to the room. "Who the hell threw up in the hall?!" The nurse screams. "Did they give you anything for the pain?" I ask Cesar. "No, they can't 'cause I drank too much." He explains. "Are you ok?" I ask. "No." Cesar shakes his head. "What can I do? I feel like this is my fault." I stand next to his hospital bed. "Yeah, you can lay down with me." He moves over and I lay down. "You really gonna talk to King?" Cesar asks and I nod. "He was worried about me. Plus you pulled a gun on him so I gotta make sure he doesn't press charges." I laugh. "I'm sorry about ruining the party." Cesar tells me and I put my head on his chest. "Sorry for being so messy. All this drama never stops following me." I say and he rubs my thigh. "It's not on you. The guys in your life really gotta work on themselves." Cesar says. "You gotta stop thinking I'm so perfect." I tell him. "Never." He kisses my forehead. "Hi Cesar,  how are you feeling?" The doctor asks when she walks in and I get off the bed. "Like shit." He laughs. "Good news, just have a fracture not a break. We're gonna get you in a splint so you won't be able to move your fingers or hand. We usually use casts but you're gonna need to change the bandages on your knuckles. Avoid fighting from now on 'cause next time you could need surgery." She explains everything and we finally get to leave. The drive home is quiet but he's sobering up and I can tell he's in pain. I'm definitely not telling him about my grandpa tonight. "You heard her? You can't keep fighting people." I tell him when she leaves and he rolls his eyes. "I gotta make sure you're ok." He says. "Thanks but I can handle it." I tell him. "Where do you wanna stay tonight?" Cesar asks when we get in my car. "Jen's at my place so I should probably go there." I tell Cesar. "Yeah." He nods. I drop him off at his place and Jamal comes over to keep an eye on him. When I get to my place Jen's screaming at King. "Why is he here?" I ask her. "That's what I'm trying to figure out." She crosses her arms. "You said we could talk." He says and just stare at him. "Talk." I sigh. "I don't wanna see you back like this. You told me you found yourself at Mayfield and now you're back to-" I stop him before he keeps saying stupid shit. "I'm myself now. You think I woulda started using if I didn't leave Freeridge? Y'all think being from the hood is the worst thing that could ever happen to me but it's not! I went there and I forgot I wasn't like y'all." I scream at him. "I wish I never met you." I roll my eyes. "You don't mean that." He says and I just stare at him. "Get out 'cause I don't need this right now." I start walking away but he can't keep his mouth shut. "I still love you!" He yells and I shake my head. "You're really gonna make me say?" I ask him and he looks confused. "I don't still love you 'cause I wasn't in love with you." I look him dead in the eyes and he walks out. "Ugh this might not be the best time but I'm pretty sure you just lost my ride back home." Jen says.
Cesar's POV:
I get in bed and Jamal's already asleep on the floor. Right when I'm finally falling asleep someone knocks on my window. I knew she'd come over. "Don't shoot. I don't have anything on me." Latrelle says. "Why are you here? You really wanna die?" I try to not wake up Jamal. "Monse tell you what I told her?" He asks and I don't say anything. "Monty's dad killed him. I told Monse-" I cut him off. "Why'd you even think it was ok to talk to my girl?" I yell and Jamal wakes up. "I promised I'd find the guy who killed her dad and I did!" He yells back. "So handle it." I start to close the window and he pulls it back up. "I don't wanna say this but I need your help." He says and if I could, I'd punch him. "If you think I'm gonna handle this for you, you're dumber than I thought." I slam and lock my window. "Pretend you didn't hear any of that." I tell Jamal. "Ok... but I did. I know we aren't that close anymore but-" I stop him. "But nothing. You're not in this life so you don't get to say shit about it." I remind him. "This isn't about you though. Monse lost her dad, you think she's just gonna get over that? If she already knows who killed him she's not gonna let it go until she gets justice." Jamal stands up for himself and I'm surprised. "Yeah well I guess she's just gonna have to depend on Latrelle." I can't look weak. "You honestly think he's just helping her 'cause he wants to be nice?" He asks. "I'm not stupid, I know what he's doing. I trust Monse." I say. "Even if nothing happens between them, I know how Monse thinks. She's gonna do something stupid for the right reasons." Jamal says. "What do you mean?" I ask. "She's gonna take care of it when she realizes no one else is gonna take care of it for her." He explains.