Chapter Two

The next day was week's eve, and as soon as I woke that morning, I jolted upright in bed. An excited grin crossed my face. I get to see Peppa today!

I leapt out of bed, blankets flying, and rushed to the window. The sun had just begun to rise. I was quite high up, but I could make out the stables, the pasture, and the red-flowering trees beyond the stone fences. I took a deep breath of cool air. My dark eyes sparkled. Week's eve!

My little room in the south wall was small and bare, and there was nothing to distract me as I changed into a plain dress and brushed my hair, then raced down the castle hall.

I hurried to the stables. My heart pounded excitement through my veins. I didn't see Peppa much anymore, but the times that I did were some of the best in my whole life. Week's eve had become my good friend in the past three years; I was always busy on other days, training under Master Thenuil's steady eye.

She spotted me before I did her. "Arielle!" came a delighted cry, and then a red-haired blur burst out of the stables, knocking aside a boy who was carrying a load of horseshoes. Peppa threw herself into my arms. I hugged her. "Ari! I missed you so much."

"I missed you two, little thunderstorm," I told her. "You've grown taller."

Releasing me, she put her hands on her skinny hips and lifted her chin proudly. "Yes I did," she announced. "I'm almost as tall as Dirken now." I laughed at that. "It's true!" she protested.

"Dirken?" I asked, amused.

A boy about my age came out of the stables. He was tall and lean, with unkempt brown hair and gold-flecked eyes. He had a warm smile that I immediately knew to be honest and trustworthy. "That would be me," he said, taking my hand and shaking it vigorously. "I'm Dirken. You must be...Arielle?"

I grinned. "Pleased to meet you." Peppa was certainly not as tall as him; she didn't even reach past his chest. To my sister, I said with pretend regret, "Sorry, Peppa, I think you've got a bit more growing to do before you're as tall as Dirken here."

She crossed her arms and pouted.

"Peppa's a real gem," said Dirken. "Always playful, always fun. The master doesn't like her much, of course, but then again, he doesn't like anyone."

I laughed. "I see."

Peppa grabbed both of our hands, with me on her left and Dirken on her right, and dragged us towards the red-flowering trees beyond the pasture. "Come on, come on," she said, suddenly serious. "I've got to show you something."