Chapter Eleven: Free!

Ryder didn't know if he should trust Jayden on that, but something in his gut was telling him that she wasn't lying. He never thought that his gut may be right, usually, it gets him into trouble, but there was this constant turning in his gut that told him she was being truthful. He just hoped and prayed that his friends would get to him soon. 

This was one nightmare that he wish never happened, and one that he wished was just a dream, but like most things in life, that wasn't how it worked. 

*

Ryder was very afraid of his former favorite teacher. Mr. Macey had really rattled him when he grabbed Ryder and dragged him away to the cave. Ryder's only thought was that hopefully, his friends would get there sooner rather than later. 

Ryder was about to give up hope when he saw something moving stealthily in the woods surrounding him. Turns out Jayden wasn't lying. She and Alex found Ryder within ten minutes, which to Ryder, felt like ten YEARS. Jayden signaled Ryder, motioning for him to stay quiet. Then she put something on the ground and looked at Ryder, making sure he knew exactly where the object was. The next thing that happened was completely insane. 

Out of nowhere, Alex started screaming. Mr. Macey came running back to where Ryder was. Jayden, who was hiding, jumped out from nowhere and onto Mr. Macey's back. She started beating his back and kicking. While all of that was happening and Mr. Macey was distracted, Alex ran over to Ryder and Jayden tossed him a knife, which he promptly used to free Ryder. This took less than a minute, and then Alex ran over to Jayden, but as he was running, he signaled to Ryder. 

Something that appeared to be him talking into something. Ryder had no clue what he was supposed to do. Then something clicked. Walkie-talkie! he thought. Of course, that's what Jayden was putting on the ground. They want me to call for help! Ryder ran over, grabbed the walkie-talkie, and immediately he cut it on and started speaking into it. 

"Mr. B, Mr. O, boys, I need backup NOW. We found out who the culprit is and I will explain everything later but Jayden and Alex are in danger. They could get seriously hurt. Please hurry." 

Almost instantly he got a response. "We're tracking your location right now and will be over soon. Don't do anything too stupid, and try to stay out of danger." 

Ok, so now I have a backup, but I have no clue how long it will take before they arrive. I guess it's time to take matters into my own hands, even though we all know how THAT ended last time. He mumbled under his breath. 

He sent up a quick prayer, asking for advice on what to do to help his friends. Instantaneously, a story from the Bible came to mind. The story of David and Goliath. David brought a rock to a sword fight and won. Maybe I can use a slingshot and at least cause Mr. Macey to fall over. It's worth a shot. 

So Ryder made a slingshot and collected a few stones, not large ones that would kill someone or give them a concussion, but big enough that they would hurt if they hit the right spot. He positioned himself so that he could see his target. He drew a rock, breathed for a second, and then released it. 

It hit Mr. Macey in the perfect spot, well, perfect for Ryder. Mr. Macey was going to be in a LOT of pain and probably wouldn't get up for a good while, which gave the teens plenty of time to do what they needed to do. Mr. Macey toppled to the ground, taking Jayden down with him, but she rolled over so that she was out of the way. Alex and Ryder rushed over, Alex helping Jayden up and Ryder tying Mr. Macey up. 

"Stupid kids. I HATE you. You just ruined everything I worked for." Mr. Macey spat. 

Just then, they heard police sirens and a truck pulling up. Out hopped the backup that Ryder requested. Mr. O and his sons rushed over to Jayden, while Mr. B ran over and hugged Alex. Then he ran over to Ryder to make sure he was okay. Next came the police. 

"Well done kids, it seems that you have bound up a hardened criminal who we have been searching for years for. He will spend a LONG TIME in prison, I can guarantee." Said one officer. 

The officers locked the prisoner in their car and then they turned back to the three heroes. "Now that we have him locked up in our car, would you mind telling us why you had him bound up, how you found him, and why our prisoner is yelling curses at you three?"