1

So, hello there! I'm your narrator and I'll be introducing you to our characters today.

The loud noise of the alarm rings through the room. A hand impatiently searches for the device that's blaring the noise. The alarm is turned off and sheets are shuffled in an attempt to get rid of them.

So, let me introduce you to-

The sound of a heavy object hitting the floor echoes through the room followed by a groan.

Oh! Meet this sleepyhead also known as Jaimi Ved Patel. She's your usual 16-year-old teenager.

Kamiya: Get ready! We have to be at school in an hour.

The voice booms from the kitchen across the house. Jaimi groans and untangles herself from the sheets. She throws them on the bed and makes her way to the bathroom. She freshens up and sifts through her closet. She throws on a pink sweatshirt and black jean shorts she found. She brushes her hair and is out of the door while struggling to wear socks. A girl about her age pops up in the kitchen while Jaimi is chugging the chocolate milk.

Meet Kamiya, her third cousin, more like aunt. Jaimi still introduces her as cousin because Kamiya is a year younger than her. As for Jaimi's defense she says, "It's weird to introduce someone younger than you as your aunt."

Kamiya: How long does it take for you to get ready?

Jaimi rolls her eyes then, stares back at Kamiya who has her hands on her hips.

Kamiya: Can't you at least be on time once in your life?

Jaimi, again being herself rolls her eyes. She walks past her to the living room and throws her book bag over her shoulder.

Jaimi: If you have so much problem then, have your father drive you or ride the damn bus!

Aashutosh: Your daughter needs to learn some manners!

Oh-oh! The deep voice belongs to Aashutosh Patel, Kamiya's father. He and Jaimi are typically enemies living under the same roof. Aashutosh is Jaimi's grandpa's cousin.

Jaimi is throwing daggers at the man in his fifties with her eyes.

Ved: Jay?

She lets out a sigh and turns to meet her father's eyes. Meet, Ved Patel, as you already know, her father.

Jaimi: Meine kuch galat toh nahi kaha! Yeh roz ka hain. My schedule is tight aur itni hi problem hain toh bus mein chali jaae.

Her dad lets out a sigh. She slips on her shoes and grabs her keys before sprinting out of the apartment when her eyes fall on the clock. Kamiya runs behind her and they hit the road in no time. Within minutes, she pulls into the school parking lot. She swiftly parks her car and grabs her bag.

She runs up the tower staircase to her locker and grabs the books necessary for the class before slamming it shut. A hand wraps around her shoulder and she continues to walk knowing who it is.

Ashton: What do you think about bunking the class and going to the movies?

She gives him a really look.

Meet this guy, Ashton Pate. The star baseball player of the district and one of hottest guy in the school. He and Jaimi are the best of frenemies since the 6th grade.

Jaimi: As fun as it sounds, we cannot escape this hell and Mrs. Giovanni is announcing a project. I'll take you up on your offer next time.

She says before focusing on the crowded hallway. They both feel a bit weird as the others are giving them a twisted look. They reach their class at the end of the hall and take their seats. Their classmates mirror the same look they got in the hallway.