Chapter Two

Ebonie couldn't sleep that night. She heard her grandmother walk into her room, most likely planning on getting a good night's sleep. For some reason, Ebonie simply couldn't drift off into a deep sleep. Her nightlight was on, her favorite stuffed lamb was closely nuzzled against her chest, and she didn't feel the need to poke out her foot from under the covers. She didn't feel hot at all.

In fact, she felt very cold. Actually, she felt freezing. She could feel goosebumps forming on her skin and could feel every hair on her body stand on end. Her heart felt like it was clinging onto her ribs to stop from dropping into her stomach. Finally, she felt it.

Blood.

It began dripping down her nose. If she wasn't so frozen in fear then she would have grabbed the box of tissues on her bedstand. Instead, she cupped her hand over her nose. She rapidly looked around the room, horrified to see what she would find but at the same time curious about what was in her room. She heard him before she saw him

His heavy, ragged breathing is what she heard. It sounded like it was painful for him just to exhale. Ebonie blinked back tears until she saw him in the corner. The light from her nightlight illuminated his face. Or, at least, what was left of it.

Half his face was completely melted off. She could see his bones and part of his caved-in skull. His lifeless green eyes stared unblinkingly into Ebonie's as blood ran like a river down the wound in his head. Bugs crawled in and out of his open mouth as he tried to speak.

'J...J...Jas.' He croaked.

He raised a very crooked, clearly injured, hand and pointed to Ebonie. His face then grew angry.

'You...promised...me. You...promised...ME!'

Ebonie was shocked that the man was even able to form a full sentence. Her amazement at the man's ability to form a sentence was short-lived. The man ran over grabbed Ebonie by the neck.

'SHE PROMISED!'

He began strangling Ebonie. No matter how hard she clawed at his withered hands he wouldn't let go. It wasn't until she was nearly out of oxygen that Ebonie used her remaining strength to cry out. Her grandmother barged into the room immediately after.

By the time Emmalyn flicked on the light, the man was gone. All that was there was Ebonie with blood running down her face and two red handprints around her neck. Emmalyn ran over to her granddaughter and began inspecting her blood-covered face.

'Come on, Ebby, let's go to the bathroom and clean your face.'

The two walked into the bathroom and Emmalyn cleaned Ebonie's face as delicately as she could. She then inspected her neck. It would hurt for Ebonie to talk for the next few days. Ebonie had never been physically attacked like this before by a ghost. Emmalyn began to fear this was spiraling out of her control.