Chapter Three

Ebonie opened the small prescription bottle and placed two white pills in her hand. This was the 10th prescription that she'd tried. She plopped the pills in her mouth and swallowed them with the help of a glass of water. The pills were very large, even though she had been taking the new pills for two weeks she still couldn't seem to get used to swallowing them. She clutched the marble counter as she waited to see what reaction the pills would take on her. The previous prescriptions hadn't worked on her. The nosebleeds hadn't stopped and she continued to see ghosts.

"Let's hope this one works.'' Dr. Smith told her. Ebonie internally rolled her eyes. She didn't know what it was like to see tormented undead souls every day.

She gripped the doorknob and opened the door. The hallway was eerily quiet. She expected something to jump out from behind a corner. But nothing did. She slowly made her way down the stairs. She felt sick to her stomach. Not from the pills, but from her nerves. The first five prescriptions had little to no effect, prescriptions six, seven, and eight had kept the spirits at bay, but she could still see them, the ninth prescription made her feel miserable, and now she was on the tenth.

Ebonie walked into the kitchen and grabbed a contanier of cranberry juice. She dropped the container and cranberry juice pooled around her feet and soaked her white socks. She took off her socks, cleaned up the mess, and then got a new pair of socks. By the time she came back downstairs, she no longer wanted what was left in the container of cranberry juice. She sighed.

And then felt a cold chill in the air.

She knew what this chill meant. The prescription didn't work. There was a ghost somewhere in the room. She felt the hairs on the back of her neck. Each and every one of them were standing on end. Then she felt something warm trickle down her nose. A nosebleed. She took a deep, uneven breath and turned around.

There was the man with the half-melted face. What was left of his mouth turned into a sly grin. He was taunting her. She open the drawer cloest to her, wanting to grab whatever was closest to her to use as a weapon. She pulled out a knife. Her entire body trembled. The man came closer and closer to her, until finally, it said something she would never forget.

'Ebonie, what's wrong?'

He spoke to her in her own grandmother's voice. She grew angry, how dare this monster torment her and then take her loving grandmother's voice? She plunged the knife as hard as she could into the man's chest.

Only for her grandmother to appear in the man's place a second later. Emmalyn stumbled back. Blood poured out of the wound in her stomach and some trickled out her mouth. She fell back while Ebonie stared in disbelief at what she had just done. She couldn't move. Every muscle in her body felt frozen.

Blood pooled around her feet and soaked her white socks. Then she saw the man in the corner of the kitchen. The same sly grin was plastered on what was left of his face. Blood dripped onto her light blue shirt.