PROLOGUE

"...60 MILLION BARS! GOING ONCE! GOING TWICE!"

"Mom, I'm scared." The young Edward told her Mom, holding her hands tighter, searching for warmth and assurance. Instead, they are pale and cold, with scars and bruises. Both of their hands are bound in a long chain, connected to their neck down to their ankles, most of their body parts are exposed, wearing only sewn rags for clothing, with nothing else to protect them from the cold or shield them from harm.

"It's okay, baby. Everything's going to be okay." His Mom tried to convince him by caressing his cheeks and slightly smiling at him, although her eyes said it all. She knows what's going to happen and so does young Edward, and they both know that nothing is going to be okay any sooner. At worst, they're both going to end up dead.

They are standing in line in a cramped space behind the stage with other people, helpless and anxious slaves, waiting for one of the men in black suits to drag them to the stage where they would have to stand there while the nobles, their faces hidden behind similar black and gold masks, is bidding in order to buy them, either to make them a servant or to use them on something shady. This is one of the biggest and most popular auction houses in Fahrgor, the land where the lives of the slaves are equivalent to money and the people with power and money can easily buy them.

"78 MILLION BARS FROM THAT GENTLEMAN! ANYONE WHO CAN GIVE HIGHER AMOUNT?!... THEN THIS BEAUTIFUL YOUNG LADY IS SOLD TO THE GENTLEMAN!"

A loud bell rang together with the scream of a young lady as she got dragged to the other side of the stage to God knows where. A big man wearing a black suit, black pants, and black long sleeves, walked to the space where the anxious slaves were lined up and dragged the chains binding the guy in front of Edward and his mother.

"NO! I WON'T LET YOU SELL ME!" The slave man shouted and tried to attack the big man. But his attempts to cause damage to the man in black suit are fruitless. "I WON'T LET YOU SOULLESS DEMONS SOLD ME LIKE I'M NOT HUMA-ARGH!"

Even before the man finished his words, the big man punched him in the stomach causing him to fall to his knees and cower. The big man grasped the neck of the poor slave and choked him.

"Stop shouting, you motherf***er. Don't make me hurt you, the customers won't like it if the item being sold is damaged." The big man said while still choking the man. "If you want your worthless life to last a few more seconds, you better follow the rules." The man's neck was released and he was forced to stand up and follow as the big man held the chains.

Edward's Mom grasped his hands so tight that it hurt. But it's okay, as long as he has his mother's hand to hold, the pain doesn't matter, he only needs his mother. But the anxiety still creeps inside of him, making him sweat despite the cold surrounding them. He is scared that after they are dragged to the stage, they would be forever separated. He only has his Mom, he can't bear to lose her too.

"AND HERE WE HAVE THE NEXT ITEM! THIS ONE IS A BIT REBELLIOUS BUT WITH THE RIGHT DISCIPLINE, HE CAN BE A VERY GOOD SERVANT! OR IF HE STAYED UNRULY THEN YOU CAN JUST FEED HIM TO THE BEASTS! HAHAHAHA!"

"Edward." His Mom called his name and kneeled in front of him. "Remember the three things that I always remind you of if the situation got dangerous?"

"Run fast. Search for escape. Never look back." Young Edward answered, those are the three things her Mom always told him ever since he was so young. His Mom taught him that in case something unexpected or life-threatening happened. He always promised his Mom to do just that, but his young mind is having some doubts.

"Right, very good. Never forget that, okay? If something happened, do exactly that. You have to run, escape, and never look back. You have to look out for yourself, don't mind the others. You have to make sure that you are always safe." His Mom said, looking intently at him. "You have to stay alive, Edward." She whispered softly.