No mans land.

Rain fell over us, the sounds of explosions and ground erupting around me filled my ears as I charged through the bombardment. I could see friends to my right, exploding into mist and disappearing. I couldn't think to myself in that moment, the instincts of war filling me to my very core I'd lost all empathy for the men I was fighting for. I could hear an officer shouting to my left, snapping me back to my senses. "Is this how I go?" I thought, the sound of my own voice reverberating around my head in a constant cycle. I clutched my musket, charging over the barbed wire laid out before me, as I shoved the bayonet on my rifle deep into a mans chest. I heard a man shout to my left, a French man charged at me. I could hear a musket shot ring out, somehow louder than the others, as the man fell inches before my feet. My ears began ringing, the sound of other soldiers charge getting closer. Allies. I sighed in relief, the battle was not won yet, though. Thankfully, I could rest. We'd taken the fort with the help of our Siberian cavalry. I laid my helmet down on a small wooden pole, leaning against the hard concrete walls of the fort I was being stationed in for the night. I thought to myself the emptiness of war still filling a void I carried. Thoughts and feelings rushed through me, I wanted to leave, I wanted to go back home. Before I could consider doing anything stupid at the time, an officer walked into the room, praising and celebrating the victory, wrapping his arm around mine as he chanted. I somehow felt at peace in that moment, maybe around friends, but my decision hadn't full been made. Until then, I need to remain intact, getting blown apart by artillery didn't sound very fun.