18. The Letter She Left Behind

As if she suddenly remembered something, Yang Ruolan quickly said to Yang Qinglian in a low voice, ''Come to think of it, hurry up and get rid of that ex-lover of yours, break him clean off. If somehow Gu Zechuan caught winds of it, I don't think it's beyond him to have your life for it. If he ever comes to know the truth behind the brat that you've aborted, he's kill you!''

Yang Qinglian panicked a little at Yang Ruolan's words. From time to time, her ex-lover would come to her for money, treating her as little more than a cash cow, though once in a while they'd get together to have some ''fun''. Last time was really close. She was accidentally pregnant with his kid. If Xia He hadn't done such a good job of taking all the blames, Yang Qinglian really didn't know what she could have done to avert Gu Zechuan's warth.

Yang Qinglian didn't want Yang Ruolan to worry. She said to her, ''Rest assured mother, I've already broke up with him. I have Gu Zechuan now, it's much better being with Gu Zechuan than that rundown hobo of a man. That guy always comes to me for money. How do I even have that much money to throw around, much less to just give it to him? All these years, it was my money that he was eating, wearing, and living, all of it. Makes me angry when just thinking about it!''

''than, daughter, let me ask you. Has Gu Zechuan ever... 'touched' you before?'' Yang Ruolan asked.

At her question, Yang Qinglian's neck quickly reddened. Not from embarrassment, but anger and humiliation. What she was angry about was the fact that, from the beginning to the end, throughout their entire relationship, Gu Zechaun was never once ''together'' with her. If Gu Zechuan had't been so drunk that one time, if she hadn't took the chance stripping herself of her clothes to lie next to him as he fell unconscious in bed, she's never have been able to make Gu Zechuan believe that they had committed the act, and Gu Zechuan would never have believed her when she said that the child inside her womb was his.

''Mother, I don't know why, but Gu Zechuan never wanted to be with me. He slept with that fox Xia He, so why doesn't he want me? Am I really that unattractive? Am I so much beneath that scheming fox?'' Yang Qinglian vented her anger.

Yang Ruolan quickly said, ''My daughter is so beautiful and has such a 'nice' figure, he really is blind to not fall prey to your charms. How could that little fox Xia He even be compared to my beautiful daughter? Just you wait, Gu Zechuan will be yours, you'll be able to twist and twine him around your little finger eventually.''

That would be perfect. Yang Qinglian's heart soared at her mother's praises.

As soon as Gu Zechuan returned to the company, he called Xu Feng over immediately. Respectfully, Xu Fenf handed over to Gu Zechuan the letter that Xia He had left behind.

Gu Zechuan felt the contents through the envelope, it was thin, and light. He questioned Xu Feng, ''This letter, since when? How long has it been here?''

Xu Feng shook his head, ''This letter only came to us today. It would have been sent a few days sgo. It wasn't sent through priority mail or urgent delivery, so it might have been in the system for a few days already.''

''Right, I see. Leave me.'' Gu Zechuan dismissed Xu Feng.

Xu Feng left Gu Zechaun's office, and closed the door behind him gently as he left. Inside his president's office, Gu Zechuan sank down on the sofa, and stared at the letter in his hands. A faint image of a flower, magnolia flower, was printed on the envelope. The writing was neat, and elegant, just like Xia He herself, pretty and clean, unstained and refusing to be stained by the taint of this world.

Why did he never think that Xia He was pretty before? Thinking back, the growing pain in Gu Zechuan's heart returned. Xia He was always there for him, waiting for him, why did he never go back home to her? And when he did go back home, why did he always pretended that he couldn't see her? Ans when he did look at her, why did he never look at her carefully? How could he have even known whether she was pretty or not? Why was it that he never came to know she was terminally ill? And when she passed away, she was alone, all by herself. He was her husband, and never once did he give her even a silver of warmth.