Free Fall

Peter's POV

The Valentine's Day Ball was all Ned could talk about for weeks. Peter tried to match his excitement and be a good pal but he was still hung up on Liz and wishing that she was there for him to ask and try to fix the damage he did with Homecoming.

"Dude," Ned began over lunch, "Mum bought me a bowtie to match the suit and it looks hectic."

"Do I need one?" He didn't really want one but they were trying to match each other as they decided to go together. The prospect of asking a girl to the dance was simply not going to happen for either of them and Ned ruled it made more sense to go as "bachelors" and just ask the girls without partners to dance then.

Ned thought about it as he chewed on his salad roll for a few moments.

"I think it would be cool if you did a regular tie maybe? So we're not TOTALLY matching."

"Agreed." Thank god. "I'll get the same colour though."

Ned pulled out his phone to show him a photo and Peter was relieved to see it was a nice blue colour and not something like a leopard print or something.

Peter was going over their plan for the day on Friday, the end of the week, when Michelle Jones sat down beside Peter.

He wasn't really sure when MJ decided to become more social with them. After Christmas break, she sat with them instead of at the end of the table, spoke to them between classes and shared her notes with them whenever they panicked. Her company was really nice.

"What's up, nerds?'

"Look at my bowtie!" Ned shoved his phone toward her and she inspected it. It took a few weeks for Ned to get over his fear of her and to be honest, they were still both extremely intimidated. But talking to her was surprisingly easy and while she called the names like dorks, nerds and weirdos, she didn't seem to have much hostility behind it.

"I like it," she told him, handing the phone back and turning to survey Peter with her usual blank expression. "You wearing one too?"

"We agreed I should do a regular tie."

"Nice," she nodded her approval and pulled out her book. "I like that, showing allegiance to each other without losing individuality."

"Whatever that means," Ned shook his head at Peter and they both laughed at her unimpressed glare. "Are you gonna come?"

Peter groaned as Michelle slammed her book closed to give Ned her full attention. They had been debating this for the past few weeks. Ned wanted her to come with them, Michelle had no interest. Peter usually sided with MJ in these situations because she didn't really seem like the party type, though he loved Ned.

"Because I'm a girl I should be excited about going to a dance, right Leeds?" She demanded.

"No. Because you're a human you should be excited about a chance to have fun."

"I have fun," she narrowed, leaning forward. Peter had to give it to Ned, if it was him he would have backed off at the beginning, but especially now he'd be running. Ned just stared right back at her. "My fun is just different to yours."

"Fun on your own is different to fun with others."

"Who's to say I have fun with others?"

"Humans are made for social connection, right? To love and be loved? You're not normal."

"I never claimed I was."

"Oh come on!" he threw his hands up. "You can come with us! Who cares if no one else asked you?"