❁ Prologue ❁

≫≫∘❁♡❁∘≪≪

≫≫∘❁♡❁∘≪≪

1993

The sound of soft breaths filled the bedroom. A small bed pushed into one corner holds a barely five-year-old girl sleeping soundly tucked under the covers.

In another room, a smaller girl tosses and turns in her own bed. She awakes with a gasp and immediately bursts into tears. As she tries to calm her breathing she debates going to her parent's room. After a minute of contemplation, she decides her older sister's room is her best bet. She gets out of her bed, making sure to grab her stuffed cat. Her soft footsteps and gasps for breath could be heard across the otherwise silent house. She makes her way to her sister's bedroom and knocks softly before carefully opening the door. She knows her sister is asleep and cannot hear whether or not she knocks but does it anyway. She wouldn't want anyone coming into her space without knocking first.

"Vi? Violet? Просыпайся." The younger girl says softly while shaking her big sister. (Wake up)

Violetta slowly opens her eyes and sees Adelina standing above her bed. She notices the younger girl's red and splotchy face covered in tears.

"Did you have a nightmare again?" Her little sister simply nods at her. "Тогда пошли" The older brunette states while pulling her covers back. (Come on then)

Violetta spends the next few minutes comforting her little sister before they both fall fast asleep.

The house is silent again.

≫≫∘❁♡❁∘≪≪

"Нет! Пожалуйста! Они всего лишь дети!" (No! Please! They are only children!)

The armed men continue to push their way past the man and into the small home. Upstairs the young girls are huddled together with their mother hugging them.

"I love you both so much. You know that, right?"

"Yes, мама. I love you too."

"мама? What is happening?"

The older woman looks at her youngest daughter with tears welling in her eyes. "Don't worry about that маленькое солнышко." Her tears start falling down her face. (little sun)

The young girls start quietly sobbing at the sound of the men banging and stomping around their house.

"I'm so sorry. I never wanted this for either of you. Мне очень жаль. Your father and I love you both so much more than you will ever know." The woman is now openly sobbing.