Chased

After three hours of swerving, flipping, and just simply coasting along on my skateboard with Ram, I decide to head back to our apartment. I was dyslexic, so I had to study for my exam tomorrow more than ever to be ready. Time was ticking away, and my curfew was drawing ever closer.

"See ya later." I said to Ram, somewhat sullenly.

"Righ' back atcha, Avi! See ya soon, mayte!" He says cheerfully, nodding in farewell as I turn and walk out of the park, hopping up and back onto my skateboard as I coasted home.

But as soon as I am hidden by the bushes that surround the park (for the reason that a few unlucky skaters sometimes... shall we say, have toppled over the edge), an eerie and frightening feeling overcomes me.

It sends shivers up and down my spine, causing little bumps to appear on my skin that seemed to make the air the tiniest bit chillier. My eyes narrow as I rubbed my arms, glancing behind me suspiciously as a rustle pierced the air, shattering the silence like broken glass.

I backed up a few paces, staring at the bush that the rustle had protruded from.

"Ohkayyy, little bush. I'll just back away..." I trail off, balling my hands into fists and holding them in front of me as I back slowly away from the bush, one of the branches whacking me in the eye just as I ducked behind a shrub. I double over with a yelp, rubbing my eye furiously while cursing the stupid bush animately.

By the time I glanced back up, sight halfway restored, I gasped in surprise, stumbling back and falling flat on the ground, my worries for my eye long forgotten as it all came back, perfectly gruesome and clear.

There were eyes in the bush. Two dark red eyes, sparkling with a hunger and malice in the sunlight as the bush rustled and jittered once more.

And then a massive roar filled the park, and a large animal leaped out of the bushes.

It was huge - standing four feet tall, and was as long as a car. It had a long, dangerous looking tail that looked like a scorpion's - it had a huge, curled stinger at the end. It had red fur all over its body, with sharp glinting spikes along its back that shifted when it moved.

But worse of all was the mouth.

It was a human face, but was distorted horrifically. The monster opened its mouth and emitted another ear-shattering roar, and I got a glimpse of three rows of razor sharp teeth. It smiled evilly as my face paled, its red eyes glinting with danger.

I screamed, stumbling backwards as the creature leapt forwards, snarling viciously. The monster dived towards my face, mouth open and ready to devour my face. On an instinct, I rolled to the side, and it stopped its face before it hit the ground where I had been, not a second earlier.

I kept on rolling until I was three feet away before scrambling up, my eyes wild as I stared at the monster, my hands balled in to fists with fear.

I was going to die.

It seemed to read my mind, and smiled viciously again. It began to stiffen, arching its back in slow motion.

I realized what was going to happen just as three spikes erupted out of its back, heading straight towards me.

Without thinking, I drop to the ground, my eyes focused on the creature as the spikes shot over my head, impaling in a tree. I glanced behind me as the tree immediately withered, its leaves turning a dead brown before falling to the ground.

I swallow in fright, scrambling back up and turning my attention back to the monster, my gaze fixed on the deadly spikes on its back with fear.

The creature sneered, before darting forwards faster than seemed possible, reaching out with its front claws and raking them down my arm. My limb seemed to catch on fire as pain coursed through it.

I bit my lip as tears came to my eyes. It backed away, pleased with itself. I broke out of my pained daze and ran at the creature in a last attempt to kill it- or get rid of it.

Its red eyes widened in surprise, caught off guard as I crash into it, pummeling its face with my fists.I caught a hold of its tail, and I yanked as hard as I could. A loud snap filled the air as it exploded off of the animal, a dull green liquid dousing my forearm. The liquid smoked and hissed, and my arm felt like it was being punched repeatedly. The monster shifted and squirmed under my body, before stiffening. In a spout of fright, I leapt off of the creature's back, trying to get out of the way of the fatal spikes.

But I wasn't fast enough.

Two of the spikes flew through the air, narrowly missing my  stomach as everything slowed down.

Me, flying through the air as my eyes stare, waiting for the monster to kill me.

The last spike rotated slowly as it flew at my head. At the last moment, I slightly ducked my head and the spike pierced the skin of my shoulder. I let out a scream of pure pain as agony coursed through my entire right side.

I fell to the ground, my eyes watching the monster as it suddenly exploded, disentigrating into a fine yellow dust.

And then it was gone.

I lay on the ground, staring at the sky blankly as the spike sends agony coursing through my body, embedded in my shoulder. My left forearm seemed to be on fire, as it smoked and was numb.

My sight began to blur as a figure seemed to burst out of nowhere, racing towards my limp body. As it came closer, I squinted, trying to make out it's face. It was a boy, followed closely by a girl, with a look of matching concern and horror on their faces.

"Who-who are you?" I managed to whisper, before my head fell back and blackness overtook my mind, and I gladly escaped the pain to the wonders of the blackness.