01 | 𝑃𝑎𝑖𝑛

VALENTINA~ Monsters by Ruelle

VALENTINA
~ Monsters by Ruelle

"Valentina get up." A shining light shone through the entire room. I haven't seen any light for days. It's difficult when you're held in a cell without a window. My eyes are closed, and my head is down.

For days, only me and my thoughts had been in this cell. I was locked in for no reason, like every time, and like every time without light. At first, I still had a candle, but it died on the first day. My father was not interested in it. He doesn't care what happens to me here. That's the lesson. Either you survive with what you have or give up. But giving up is not an option for him.

You must know that irritation and respect are important to my father. He would do anything to teach his children that. Even if it has to be done with violence. He has set up different rules, if you don't follow them you will be punished.

Since I am the youngest, I have the most attention. It's not outstanding because you are being kept in view. You can also say that I am most of the time. Not like all of my siblings.

"Valerian, get her down." my father ordered. I could hear the rustling of the keys and how it came closer. Slowly, my eyes got used to the light. I still looked at the floor and saw how Valerian's shoes came nearer to me.

Valerian is my big brother, also the oldest of exactly four siblings. He's the firstborn. Then Vera, who is only one year younger than Valerian.

The middle ones are the twins Valerie and Valentin. Then me as the last. But Valerian is the favorite of our five, you can't overlook that. Of all of us, my father treats him most of all as a "real son."

Valerian held my hip, with his other hand, he unlocked the chains which held me for days.

I fell into his arms, my hands were around his neck as he tried to pick me up, but my father spoke in between. "She's gonna walk alone. She is that brave to break the rules, then she can be strong and step independently."

"But father, she was in chains for days." Valerian contradicted our father. Had I dared to counteract my father, I would probably be in the cell for weeks and feel the stick.

"No arguing Valerian, she's walking alone." shouted my father at Valerian. I lifted my head to see my big brother. He looked at me worried. I nodded, so he knew he could let go of me.

The feeling of touching the ground for days makes my legs shake. I feel powerless and can barely stand. I know if the conversation doesn't end in a few minutes, I'll fall.

But I have to suppress it somehow. I have to stop so as not to symbolize my father's weakness. He shouldn't see that I'm in pain.

"We have a mission, you will take care of it, so get ready and come to my office." my father left the basement. I waited until I heard the main gate slam. That was the sound in which I don't have to fight anymore. The sound of the door took over, and my body sank.