I'm Tired

(THIS IS SHORT SORRYYY)

David's bed wasn't comfortable. It creaked from the beginnings of rust, and was hard from him sleeping in the same position every day. He decided he just didn't want to deal with it tonight, so he found himself in his favorite chair strumming his old guitar.

He dragged his fingers across the frets, making the lovely scratch sound that sent a shiver down his spine, just for a moment. He hummed a little mindless tune as he did so.

Gwen wasn't at the cabin that night. David couldn't recall what she told him, mostly because she yelled it to him from the car after she closed the door. He didn't mind. She was responsible enough to return in the morning, if not the next day - but that was only one time, so he had faith in her.

For tonight, he was alone.

He stopped messing with his guitar for a moment. The silence was deafening.  Usually, Gwen going about whatever she was doing was enough to make David comfortable. He hated silence. The ringing in his ears, which he did not notice 'til now, was very loud. He strummed he acoustic in his hands, breaking the silence once again. He sighed and set the guitar down. He didn't feel like playing anymore.

He decided it was best to run a shower for himself. The cabin had a lackluster well system, enough to pump cold water into the cabin, but hot water was a distant dream. Supposedly, cold showers are good for your health - he heard somewhere it heightened your immune system and was better for your skin - but as David looked into the mirror, he had to disagree. He looked awful. His eyes were sunken and dull, and he looked all around grim.

Suddenly, he didn't want to see the rest of himself.

Whatever caused this, be it dysphoria or a general self hatred, made him at last return to his bedroom.

He tossed himself onto the bed, forgetting the stiffness of it. Ouch.

He readjusted himself to the edge of the twin sized bed, slightly more comfortable in the area he hadn't worn in for years. David lay in silence, unable to rest.

He stared out of the nearby window. Nature was always so comforting to him, surely it would help, right?

He stood up once more, pushing open the window with a bit of force he didn't know he still had, then stared out for a while.

He put his elbow onto the wooden frame, and rested his head in his palm. The nighttime had to be one of his favorite times, close behind dawn and noon.

He listens for a long time in that position. He notices many animals. The hoot of distant owls, and the sound of howling wolfs. He ignored the tear forming in his eye.