Playing Cupid #3

Kuina's POV

Kuina hated Fridays, those were the days she had to return to her fathers dojo to give a weekly status report on her life. She would rather have no contact with the man, better than him criticizing her every decision. From which university she studied at, to which majors she was allowed to choose from, the man was controlling. Her dream was being on the Olympic judo team in her country, crowds across the world watching her fight. Her father did not approve of this plan, saying that Olympians don't bring in steady income, and she would be much better off in a safer field of work. Since he was paying the bill on her tuition, she didn't get too much of a say in it either way. That wasn't going to stop Kuina though, she was determined to become the best fighter to ever compete in the Olympics.

From a young age Kuina's father had told her he would never pass down his beloved dojo to her, not because she was weak, no she was the best fighter that had ever stepped foot into that dojo; he wouldn't pass it down simply because she was a woman. This angered Kuina more than anything, no matter how hard she tried to prove she was worthy, he wouldn't even grant the idea a second of his precious time. She picked a major in political science on a whim, figuring it looked the least boring out of the options her father had laid out before her. It only took a few courses to make her realize she could actually have an effect on how people view gender norms. She had been taking an abundance of feminist and gender centralized classes as electives for her degree, finding they extended into bigger topics such as race, sexuality, and class as well. She is currently getting her doctorate in the subject.

She took what she learned in class and helped the community with her knowledge. She volunteered at many local women's shelters, and ran a non-profit self defense class through the local community center. If there was one thing she could thank her father for, it would be for putting her in this position. As much as she hated that this wasn't her original path, there was nothing wrong with making a few stops on the way to achieving her dream, and she got a lot of joy from helping others. Along the way she even made some amazing friends who would do absolutely anything for her.

The real friends she had made, ones who she felt really understood how she felt, ones that wholeheartedly supported all her dreams, meant so much to her. If it wasn't for her unapproving father she wouldn't be where she is now, surrounded by all of her wonderful friends. Her mind flashed memories of blonde triplets, a scared little boy obviously related trailing behind them. That was the day she had met little Sanji and his sisters, lucy, sara, and rukia. She would never forget the sisters coming to her self defense class, asking if it would be okay to have their little brother join even though he was a boy. As she got to know the group she started to understand why Sanji needed the class, and why the sisters felt such a powerful drive to help him. She thought they were all adorable though! She couldn't help but buy Sanji a new article of clothing every so often just to see his face light up like it was christmas morning. She liked being as supportive as possible, still sad to see Sanji only hung around much older females though.

She didn't have to worry about that for long though, after only a few days an unruly green haired kid burst through the doors of her free class and demanded she fight him. Kuina, always being up for a good fight, agreed, only on the condition that if he lost he would have to attend her class weekly to learn discipline. Of course being older and more experienced she won easily, and that's how she met Zoro. True to his word the boy continued coming to class, slowly growing close to Sanji. Zoro didn't understand social norms from the beginning so with a vague but simple explanation from Sanji's sisters and herself, he didn't have any problem hanging out with Sanji. The kid would not, for the life of him, hold back for anyone though. Kuina was prepared to be his exclusive sparring partner, seeing as most of the class was young girls and middle aged women. Sanji had other plans though, from the first time they fought he swore vengeance, promising that he would become strong enough to beat up the other boy.