Chapter Two

Monet's POV

7 AM in Wolverhampton, England! It's a steamy 93 degrees out today so we better bring out the shorter trousers this morning-

The small 6x6 inch radio on my bedside table blared out the morning radio station. Lazily lifting my arm, my fingers fumbled for the snooze button.

"Monet! You have tennis in an hour!" my mum called up the stairs.

I sighed and hopped out of bed. My mum had put me in tennis when I was 6, and ever since I've been condemned to 8 AM classes in Bradford every Saturday.

I didn't feel like tennis today, since I could feel the swelting heat through the blinds. I hopped in the shower, rinsing my body in cold water. England normally didn't get this hot, but this summer had most of our days in the 90s.

After showering I pulled on a white halter tank and a blue skirt. I also grabbed the tattered white sun visor, knowing I'd burn in ten minutes without it. Since my parents were Norweigan and Irish, I needed to douse myself in sunscreen so I didn't turn into a lobster. My thick dark hair was pulled into a ponytail as I strolled down the stairs.

I grabbed a banana and began unpeeling it. As my parents flipped through the tv stations, something caught my eye.

"Keep this on", I said to my mum, eyes fixed to the screen.

This is coverage of last evening's X Factor. Matt Cardle taking home the first place. Many actually predicted that the oh-so popular group One Direction would win this season, Simon Cowell as their mentor. The boys were disapointed, but it's certainly not the end for the five of them.

A blonde with wide eyes described last night's finale. I never really watched the show, but my friend JoJo watched it every Friday.

The camera panned over five boys. I recognized their faces from the commercials. There was a blonde one, his face soft and his eyes big. There was a dark haired boy, with a strong jaw and brown eyes. The next boy had a narrowed eyes but a cheeky smile, I think his name was Louis. The last boy had curly brown hair framing a young face. Bright green eyes, pert lips, hands in the pockets of shaggy pants. I did a double take, looking at his smile gleaming through the television.

"Monet, as interesting as those boys are, you're going to be late", my mum said.

I shook my head, realizing I had been staring at the screen for longer than I should've. I broke my gaze and tossed the banana peel in the trash.

"See you at 9!" I called to my parents as I dashed out of the door.

The heat was worse than I expected. I quickly unlocked my car but inside was worse. The leather seats and steering wheel were burning. The tennis courts had little shade and I really didn't feel like going.

I sent out a quick text to my instructor.

Hey Lana. I'm feeling a tad under the weather today, so I won't be at practice. Srry for the late notice -Monet

After sending it I took off my visor and wrapped  it around the steering wheel. It acted as an oven mit, shielding my hands from being burnt.

I put the PRNDL in reverse and headed to JoJo's house. I knew she probably wasn't awake, but her mum was kind and always let me in. It was a short drive and I was there in minutes. Her large Wolverhampton home was located in a neighborhood with- thankfully- a lot of trees as shade.

Her mum answered the door promptly, greeting me with a warm smile.

"Oh, hello Monet! Shouldn't you be at tennis?" she asked, opening the door. I stepped into the cool air conditioning and nodded.

"It's a bit too hot outside for tennis. But please don't tell my mum that I skipped", I said confiding in Mrs. Griffith.

She nodded kindly. "Of course I won't. But I understand. It's burning out there, she said as we walked into the living room.

I saw JoJo, who was surpisingly awake perched on the sofa, watching the morning shows.

"Monet!" she exclaimed, patting the cushion next to her. I grinned and sat down.

"What'cha watching?" I asked.

"Last night's X Factor. I can't believe One Direction didn't win!" she said.

What's the huge deal with them? I thought. From the look on JoJo's face I realized that I said it out loud. She laughed.

"You're a fan of them?" I asked her.

"I guess. I like Zayn's voice a lot. For some reason they were huge", she said. I nodded, studying their faces again.

I went on my twitter on my phone. #XFactorFinale was trending. i scrolled through the tweets and found one of the One Direction members.

"Is he in the band?" I asked JoJo, showing her my phone.

She smiled and nodded. "Harry. He's cute", she said.

I took another glance at him and closed twitter, going on my tumblr. I checked tumblr a lot, going on whenever I could. My reblogging was interrupted my JoJo's chants.

"Monet! One Direction is having a charity concert and signing next week and it's open to the public! We should go!" she exclaimed. I grinned.

"Yeah we should! Sounds great", I said. I wanted to learn more about the band, and they didn't seem half bad.

JoJo and I hung out for a little while longer. At 8:45 I decided to head back home.

"I'll text you later!" I said, waving as I walked out the door. The temperature was just as hot and I knew it would get even warmer by noontime.

I saw JoJo's perverted neighbor ogling me in my tennis skirt through the fence. I scoffed and got in my car as he scurried away.

I took the slow drive home. Even in the boiling heat, the English landscape looked as lush as ever. I flicked on the radio, an old Coldplay song streaming through.

When I reached the house I prayed my mum didn't know I skipped tennis. She took it very seriously and never wanted me to skip.

When I passed through the front door and saw her stern expression, I knew my prayers failed.

"Monet..." she started.

"I'm sorry, it's just too hot out and-" I started.

"No, Monet. There'll be hotter days. You can't go around skipping classes. Lana texted me asking if you were feeling any better. To teach you a lesson, I think it's only fair if you can't do any social activities besides tennis for the next two weeks" she said. My mouth twisted in protest.

"Are you serious? It was one class-" I said. She cut me off again.

"Yes, I am serious", she said.

I stomped up to my room. I logged onto my laptop and scrolled through the Google news. More news about the X Factor.

Oh shi-

The concert. i pulled my phone out of my pocket and typed out a text to JoJo.

Grounded for skipping tennis. Sorry I can't go 2 concert next week:(

I was really mad at my mum. I'd have to spend my nights on tumblr, which didn't sound too bad to me.