〔10〕

┎┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┒
ᴡᴏʀᴋ ᴀɴᴅ sᴜffᴇʀ

┎┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┒• ᴡᴏʀᴋ ᴀɴᴅ sᴜffᴇʀ •

┖┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┚

"Work faster! Bastards," the supervisor shouts slashing his whip against the rock to build fright in the hearts of the slaves. The workers flinch, hasting with their work and hanging their heads low, not wanting to look at the supervisor.

A feeble, exhausted old man slips away from the sack of bricks. The sack thuds against the ground as he falls, weakly gathering the bricks to put back in the sack.

"You filthy bastard!" The supervisor strides towards the old man, tightening his grip on the whip and he slashes it onto the elderly's back; once and then again and again until he falls into the ground, pathetic and begging for his life.

"How dare you impede the work!" The supervisor shouts, voice replete with acrimony as he grabs the old man by the (torn) shirt and slaps him hard across the face.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" The old man tries to save himself by apologising, but inevitably fails and the supervisor lets go when he's done inflicting his anger.

Yureum and Jungkook — both from their respective places — watch the scene, hatred seeping into them because they're unable to stop this from happening.

Jungkook stops for a moment and is about to charge right at the supervisor, but then realises that there's no way he can help the old grandfather even though he wants to. Feeling his morals succumb to the mainland of self-reproach, he resumes his work, apologetic and wishing he could break everything around him.

Jungkook's wrists are tied in cuffs. His ankles are fettered ruthlessly by gyves, jagged ones to be precise, to restrain him from getting riled up. His jaw is clenched hard and his fingers are so tightly grasping the handle of the large saw that his skin has gone white. He doesn't have a shirt on; he's bruised and only has cloth tied around his torso and biceps to tend to his wounds.

He smacks the saw onto the centre of the upright log of wood, barely succeeding at splitting it into two at the first try.

"Properly," a soldier snickers at him. "Though it must be difficult for you as a prince."

"He's a king now," another one joins his colleague, jeering at Jungkook. "Isn't it, Your Majesty?"

He fumes of ire, teeth gritting against each other and producing a creaking sound so loud that few around him could hear. Eyeing the two soldiers with pure volumes of anger and aversion, he says, "Shut the fuck up, thick-headed mooncalf." And he thwacks the log of wood one last time, striking it at the correct place and breaking it along the centre in perfect proportions this time.

Jungkook receives a hit to his torso. "What did you just call me?" The soldier swings his rod again, this time walloping at his head.

Yureum stands by the the huge crane watching this from a distance. Jungkook is now seething in rage. He picks up his saw and charges at one of the two soldiers, slicing the tool against one's thigh and giving the other a gift in the forearm.