Backstory.

Five years ago..

"Y/N! Come on!" My brother yells running in the opposite direction of the store we just stole from.

"I'm coming!" I yell back running after him laughing. My bag has two packs of ramen and some candy in it. My brother is older than me but I can still out pace him at running. My brother and I are orphans our parents abandoned us for gambling money at the age of five and since then we steal and sneak our way through the horrid life on our planet.

My brother Max L/N is a couple years older than me so most of my life he's took care of me. But as of late I have been refusing to let him do all the work of stealing food and clothing. My brother is 18 as I am 16, although you couldn't tell it by our skinniness we are very agile and athletic. Running from the law is out past time anyways.

Max turns a corner with me right on his heels and we climb over a fence. We continue running down this ally until we reach a dead end. "Shit," Max mumbles. I scan the buildings and spot a ladder close by.

"Max give me a lift," I say pointing at the ladder just out of reach. He follows my finger and spots the ladder too and nods. He cups his hand and I get a running start. He pushes me up and I grab the ladder. With a grunt I pull myself up then lean down and reach out my hand. "Come on!" I exclaim. "They're coming!"

Max jumps and grabs my hand and I pull him up. Just as he gets his foot on the metal platform that the ladder rests on we heard a loud BANG. A sharp pain sears through my shoulder as blood starts staining my already stained shirt.
Max's eyes widen as I hold back a scream.

"Move!" I say and shove him towards the other ladder. "Climb!" Max scrambles up the ladder as I follow right behind my right arm hanging uselessly on my side. Every bit of movement shoots pain through my body starting at my right shoulder but I climb on. Once on the roof of the building we run trying to keep out heads down out of firing range as bullets continue to fly.

We reach the edge of the building and we jump to the next building roof. Luckily in the city we live in most buildings are around the same height or lower but never higher. The reason there is a height limit to the buildings is because of the emence amout of smog in the sky. Any building higher than a certain limit puts the people living on the floors the smog starts and above at serious danger.

We continue running and jumping from building to building for about two miles but it feels like ten. Evey step, every jump gets more and more difficult as I lose more blood by the minute. Eventually I collapse. Max turns right before he hops to the next building and runs back to me. "Y/N! Come on! We are almost home." I couldn't speak just grunt in pain. When I try to stand I grow very dizzy and slump back down. "If you can't walk, I'll just carry you!" Max says picking me up.

Next thing I know he is jumping from building to building with me in his arms. He is struggling with my weight but carries on determined to get us safely home. I black out on the next jump as he stumbles on landing and drops me.

***
I wake up back in our abandoned building laying on my makeshift bed. I sit up and pain stabs through my arm and shoulder. I look around, Max is no where to be found in the room. I slowly get up and look at my shoulder and see a used to be white towel tapped on my arm. I slowly walk out of the room. I hear murmering as I slowly approach the dust ridden living room. I stop right outside the entrance as I hear Max's voice.

"I don't know. Y/N might not be happy with me going off and doing missions for you," Max says to someone.

"Well how about she goes with you. She is only a couple years younger than you. And from what we know she is just as capable as you," a strange male voice inquires.

"No. No. She is my baby sister I am not putting her in any more danger. She got shot today just because we stole some food," Max says matter of factly.

"Twice the people twice the money. We can fix her up and help her recover," the strange voice retorts.

I've had enough, I peaked around the corner and enter the living room to see Max standing before a hooded man. "Max. What is going on?" I ask looking the man up and down.

"Y/N! What are you doing up?" Max exclaims walking towards me giving me a slight embrace.

"Who is this man? What is going on?" I ask again.

"Er, well-" Max starts but gets inturuped by the hooded man.

"Y/FN L/N. We have offered you and Max L/N an offer. You take on missions killing the people who are bringing this planet to its doom and we will get you out of the poverty you are currently living in. We will provide housing and Healthcare for you both as long as you help assassinate the people we ask of you," the hooded man explains blankly.

"I told him no though. I don't want you in danger we had a very close call today and-" Max trys explaining but I cut him off.

"How much money are we talkinga but here?" I ask, leaning against Max.

"2,000 units per assaination," the man says.

2,000 units per assaination?! That would help us so much.

"Y/N, you shouldn't. I'll do it. You don't have to," Max starts again but gets inturuped again.

"Max. We have to do this. Besides it'll be fun. I won't get hurt. And, and we will be doing good right?" I ask looking at the hooded man who nods. "Max. Come on we should do this."

"Y/N, you are my baby sister I don't want anything to happen to you," he says sadly. "But if you promise to be careful. I will accept."

"I promise I will be careful as long as you do the same," I say and he nods. I look over at the man in the hood and I say, "We accept your offer."

"Good. We will send some medical supplies and a doctor over soon to attend your shoulder. Then we will move you two to a newer, nicer place where you can recover. After you are fully recovered and stronger you will both be given your first assignments," the hooded man says. "We are looking forward to working with you Max and Y/N L/N,"

The hooded man leaves the living room and leaves the house leaving me and Max alone in the living room. I look at him and give him a hug. "It will be fine I promise Max. You and me till we die," I say.

Max hugs me back and says, "Till we die."