Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

The hot morning sun flashes on the window of a big duplex building as a small girl of about eight years runs into the room and rushes toward the window, opening the curtains happily. She rushes to the bed where her mother is lying quietly.

"Mummy, mummy,"

"Wake up!" Sapphire shouts softly, patting the beautiful hands of her mother cautiously. Hailey finally opens her eyes gradually.

"Mummy,"

"Are you okay?" Sapphire asks anxiously, staring at her mother, who slowly sits upright on the large, soft bed.

"Mummy?" Hailey stares at her environment in confusion, finding nothing familiar. She faces back at Sapphire, who is confused and astonished.

"Who am I?"

"Where am I?"

"Who are you?" Hailey asks professionally, like a renowned journalist, Sapphire smiles.

"So many questions on a sunny morning."

"Where do I start?" Sapphire asks sarcastically as she folds her arms, and Hailey walks down from the bed, approaching the door.

"Who am I?"

"Where is this place?" "No... I need to go to work, but..."

"Something is not right." Hailey in the hallway faces back to Sapphire.

"Please tell me everything you know about this woman," Hailey said.

"Who? Woman?" Sapphire stared, confused.

"Tell me everything about me," Hailey pleads anxiously as they sit on the dining chair.

"Mummy,"

"You are being too weird and polite this morning," Sapphire mutters in a low tone, but Hailey could still hear as she was closer to Sapphire. Sapphire exhales with a small smile.

"You are a journalist at a Broadcasting and media production company-not just a journalist but the best among them," Sapphire emphasizes with a little tease.

"You are an independent lady and kind, but since I was born, you have never smiled or loved me."

"As for my dad, I know nothing about him... I was named Sapphire by you," Sapphire explains briefly to Hailey, who focuses on her with keen interest.

"So what happened to me?"

"I don't feel myself," Hailey asks cryptically.

"You slumbed in the bathroom, and the doctor said you lost consciousness and memory." Sapphire pauses.

"But then, if you would be nice to me this way, I pray you stay like this forever," Sapphire said bluntly with a sad smile, and Hailey laughed it off.

"Mummy,"

"Have you forgotten today?" Sapphire asks anxiously with an astonished stare while Hailey sets the electric kettle on the socket.

"What about today?"

"Your birthday?" Hailey faces Sapphire slightly and goes back to the boiling kettle.

"What!"

"You have been parading this house for a week talking about your promotion," Sapphire exclaims as she tries to explain, so Hailey's memories will jog back.

"Did your colleague win you this time?" Sapphire asks.

"Promotion?"

"Work," Hailey mutters to herself with the hot coffee cup closer to her lips.