Cinderella; 2

"-Nastasia. Anastasia!"

"What?!" I widen my eyes. Why am still alive? I'm supposed to die. I could remember it precisely. I recognize the despondency and everything.

By now, I'm in front of a piano with my mother in front of me, glaring at me, like she's about to annihilate me. It's the same white cream room that keeps me relaxed in the past, where me and mother used to operate with my nasty piano skills.

  I gulped and peer down at the keys. Why am I still here? I'm supposed to be in hell as I assume.

"I apologize for raising my voice, mother." Mother's green eyes relaxed as she sat beside me and carefully clutch my hands and played them with the piano. The movements of her hands in mine formulated a delicate and comforting melody that is nostalgic to listen to.

I still can't comprehend things well...

But I already miss her. If only this is true, but I know it isn't.

"Anastasia, dear, we hired hundreds of tutors for you yet you still not progressing, I cannot force you if you certainly don't desire to play the piano.". I remembered this line clearly. She talks to me with a soft-spoken tongue. A piece of music to my deaf ears. A resonance to me, as her daughter.

I memorized it clearly, I wanted to play piano because I learned from father that Ella was skilled at the piano and I wanted to compete with her. We were still kids that day, and I'm still a kid now.

It was a narrow-minded decision, we wasted money on that. Driziella didn't even care, just me. She just supported me wherever I go.

I always picture Cinderella laughing at me while vocalizing and performing the piano.

This was when I put the piano on fire, and almost burn our whole mansion. I was so outraged at the image of that. It was always her who's talented, always her who was admired by the gods, always her who's chirping with the birds, always her who was clouded by claps and praises. While I am stuck in the background, singing with the devils and the shadows who wiped my tears when I secretly cry.

I was inundated by jealousy that I didn't notice my mother's favor. Her adoration for me, her attention was always on me and Drizzy. She was the one who look up to us, the one who affirm the approval to play the piano even though she know only the dead would like it.

I was dazzled to compete with Cinderella, it was like I was bound to make the faulty choices. This is the day I gave up on playing music, and I regretted it.

" I still wanted to learn mother, please have faith in me," I answered her, with tremblings lips and tearful sorrowful eyes. I cannot tell her this awful dream that keeps haunting me. The repeating pain I somehow felt. This was just a dream for my end.

Right?

Mother smiled, not her usual sly smile. It was a proud smile that was rare to see in our everyday circumstances. She like my point of valor to compete with Ella. Her green eyes look at the same ones as mine. Her soft hand touched my face and wiped my tears as I sniffed while enveloping her warmth.

"I do, and I know you can strive with her and gain a victory. I adore your courage to continue learning, my dear daughter." It was different this time. I was grateful and so she was. I was happy but the Gods won't let me.

"Thank you, mother." My voice was cracking but I made a soft chuckle. How cruel of them to make such a realistic dream that will come to an end. The worst part is, a part of me believes this is triue.

Still...

"It'll be okay, it's not the end yet. You're going to restart."

That sentence seems odd. Could it be this, that the person in my brain was talking about?

If it was...

***

It was dinner time, and the Tremaine family agreed to eat together. The chandelier renders the dining room brighter, with the help of the dim candle lights on the broad table. The table in its innate elegance was the perfect setting for the eventide meal.

Anastasia was aware of what will happen to this situation.

This is the loss of her father, Cinderella's father to be exact.

"Francis, dear, I heard that you're taking off to travel to the west, am I wrong?" Madonna Tremaine asks her husband as she gracefully takes a sip of her tea. Anastasia, Driziella, and Ella sat on their occupied chairs with their favorite meals.

Anastasia was still in shock, this really is happening. It was not a dream. Even her younger sisters, Driziella and Ella notice her unusual behavior. It was unlikely of her to sit around unostentatiously and not make a bother as usual. She's now matured and well-mannered. They were still ten-year-olds.

"You are right, I'm traveling to another province for a crucial business conference. You can bestow your requests for my journey, I'll indeed purchase it right away and lend it when I arrived back home." Francis answered as he smiles gradually. He always gives gifts to his beautiful ladies. He can't leave away the opportunity after the departure of his early wife. He wanted a pleasant life for his real and only daughter, Ella.

And Ella seemed to be fond of her new family, even though she still yearns for her real mother.

"Oh! oh! I wanted a new dress! A yellow dress with glitters! and a lot of sweets!" The four-year-old Driziella spat out happily making his father and mother chuckle. "Anything for you sweetie! How about your sisters?"

Everyone look at both of the older kids, Ella blushed with embarrassment. "I-I'd accept whatever you'll give to me father." She spoke lowly. She really doesn't mind anything. Her father's presence is enough for her.

"Oh, if that's what you wanted Ella, but if you need anything, don't be modest to ask me." Francis smiled making his daughter nod. 

Anastasia ate silently, not caring whatever their muttering. Her hands are shaking while taking a bite of her cake. Her position looked stiff and uncomfortable and her muscles are tightened. Her thoughts are broken and she's not participating in their small talks.

"What about you Anastasia?" 

"Me?!"She broke off of her fantasies, accidentally asking too loud. People blinked at her twice while staring at her stunned face. Her cheeks flush out of sudden embarrassment.

'Gosh, I said it too loud! Fucus Anastasia!'

"My apologies..I was unaware." She lowered her head apologetically, alarming her father. She was unusual. "Are you okay dear?" The matured woman asks her daughter worridly, she was dazzled since the piano incident. After that, Anastasia became distant and quiet. The redhaired girl was taken back, she slowly nods and muttered she's fine.

But even herself doesn't know if she truly was fine.

"As I was saying, what would you like Anastasia dear?" Her father added. "I would like to have books about the history of our kingdom father. I was quite curious and took the interest to read books." It was true, she wanted to know more about her kingdom's history of magic. Though. she did not include magic. She was aware that magic is banned in her country, and she wanted to know why.

She wanted to seek deeper...

About her father's accident, she already has a plan. She will not let this opportunity pass away. She acted this unusual so they could be worried about her and cancel the trip. She knows their father is so kind that he would cancel everything just for his family's wellness.

This is just a spice to her plans.