Chapter 5

"Hey Mirie, I need to talk to you for a minute." 

I turned around and saw Myran standing there, arms folded.

"Okay..." 

"We are friends right?" she asked. 

"Not really," I said honestly. "This is the first time you've talked to me." 

Myran burst into high-pitched laughter. 

"You're so funny, Mirie!" 

"I wasn't trying to be." 

"Well, anyways, friends tell each other secrets right? Like about who they like?" 

"I guess." I shrugged. 

"So, who do you like? Who is it?" 

"I don't like anyone." 

"LIAR!" she yelled. "I mean, of course, you do! Everyone does!" 

"Not everyone." 

"Yes you do, Mirie. I know you do, and I know who it is too."

"I don't know what you're talking about Myran but I have places to be." I sighed. "See you later." 

I turned around and started walking away when Myran started yelling again. 

"I KNOW YOU LIKE BRANDON!" 

"What?!" 

"That's why you've been spending so much time with him! But he's way too nice to tell you to leave him alone," she smirked. 

"I don't know if we are talking about the same Brandon because the Brandon I know is not nice. Either way, I don't like him." 

"Then stay away from him because he was mine first and I don't like sharing." 

"Not a problem." I smiled. 

"Good! We're done here." 

Then we both walked away from each other.

***

"Hey, loser." Brandon waved as I walked downstairs. "where are you going?" 

"It doesn't concern you, jerk." 

He looked me up and down which made me feel extremely uncomfortable. 

"What are you getting all dolled up for? You going on a date?" 

"No, just going to a cafe," I told him. 

"By yourself?" 

"Is that a problem?" 

"Actually, yes. Can you go tomorrow instead? I'll even take you tomorrow and buy you some food." 

I knew where this was going. Brandon's mom asked him to babysit her friend's daughter tonight while she's out with the girls. 

"I'm not going to stay and babysit for you," I said.

"Please," he begged. "I'm no good with kids." 

"Not my problem." 

I shoved past him and went towards the front door but he ran in front of me and stood in my way. 

"Name anything you want, I'll get it for you!" 

"I want you to get out of my way and stop blocking the door." 

"Okay, but if something bad happens to her, it's on you." 

"Um, no, it's on you. Now move." 

He sighed loudly and let me go. 

*** 

I was just about to tuck into a blueberry muffin when my phone started buzzing in my purse. I took it out and saw that Brandon was calling me. 

"Hello?"

"Mirie! I need your help!" Brandon panted. 

"What did you do this time?" 

"I...kind of lost the kid." 

"YOU WHAT?! How do you lose a kid, Brandon?" 

"It's kind of a funny story." he stuttered. "We were playing hide and seek and I might have counted for too long. When I went to go look for her, I couldn't find her." 

"You're an idiot." 

"Please come back and help me find her. I'll owe you big time." 

"I'm on my way." I sighed.

*** 

"Thanks for coming back." 

Brandon looked pale. He was sweating and his eyes were wide with worry. 

"What kind of idiot loses a kid?!" I hissed. 

"I told you I'm not good with them." 

"Just go check outside." I told him. "I'll keep a lookout in here." 

"Fine." 

I went upstairs and checked out Brandon's bedroom. I realized I'd not actually seen it before. I looked over by the window and couldn't believe my eyes. The little girl was sitting on the windowsill with the window wide open! 

I gasped in shock and the little girl turned around quickly with big eyes. She turned back around and started to crawl out of the window and onto the roof.

"Hey! Stop!" I yelled. "Get down from there, it's dangerous!" 

I ran to the window and I tried to grab her arm but she crawled further away from the window. I could see Brandon in the garden below. 

"Brandon! Look up at the roof!" 

I saw him look up and he looked mortified. Meanwhile, I was still trying to grab the little girl. 

"Juliana!" Brandon shouted. "What are you doing?! Get down from there!" 

I finally managed to snatch Juliana's collar on her shirt; but to my horror, she jumped out of my grip and off the roof.

"BRANDON! CATCH HER!" 

I stuck my head out the window and saw Juliana fall into his arms. 

***

"Okay, she's in my bed taking a nap." 

I plopped down on the couch next to Brandon and sighed.

"You so owe me for this." I said. 

"I know." 

"Gosh, I'm exhausted.

"You're exhausted? I'm exhausted! I was the one who had to catch her!" 

"Your fault for losing the kid." 

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." 

I looked to the side and saw Brandon start to close his eyes. My exhaustion started to hit me harder and I closed my eyes too.

***

"We're back!" 

I opened my eyes and saw Savannah standing over me with a huge grin on her face. Then I felt movement and realized I'd fallen asleep on Brandon! We looked at each other and jumped off the couch.

"Aw, I should've taken a picture of you two sleeping when I had the chance!" Savannah said. 

"Never speak of this." Brandon hissed at me. 

"Agreed." 

"I'll just go get Juliana and take her out to her mother." 

Then Savannah left us with an awkward silence. 

"Well...I'll be in my room." Brandon said, looking at the floor.