Prologue: Coastal Calls

            I could almost feel the beach water splashing against my slightly tanned skin. "Thrift Shop" was blaring over the tunneling sound of the Cali wind. (Rora's playlists are always the best. The songs got better and better every summer.) I turned down the music as I switched over to the left lane, trying to get around the genius in front of me driving 45 in a 60 zone. Rora flashed me one of her looks that always meant some form of "Seriously, Azz?!" I rolled my eyes at her.  

            "Ya know, it amazes me that after 2 years of dealing with my driving, you still freak every time you get in my car," I shouted over the still tunneling noise of the wind blowing past.  

            "Yeah well, it still amazes me that your parents let you drive period! Or that they trust you to be by yourself for the entire summer, free reign!" Rora also shouted over the noise. I would put the top up so we could hear each other but its way too gorgeous outside to be contained in the closed-in car boundaries.  

            I made a sarcastic coughing sound. "You're forgetting who you're talking to. Its little miss straight-A-perfect-attendance-never-goes-out-on-Friday-night Aslyn Grace." This probably bugged me more than it did her.  

            "Oh yes, how could I forget." Sarcasm struck through that statement rather well. She turned the music back up. It was now playing "Sweater Weather". My mind lingered until my focus went straight to the lyrics. "Let's have an adventure, Head in the clouds but my gravity's centered, Touch my neck and I'll touch yours, You in those little high waisted shorts, oh..." That part always stuck out to me. I contemplated it and played out numerous scenarios in my head, each time a slightly different take on the lyrics.  

            I came back from my thoughts only to realize I had sped up to 70. Oopsies? Of course Rora didn't bother saying anything because she knew my response would have been speeding up just to piss her off. As I drove around the hillside, I saw the sign and turned to Rora with a massive grin.  

            "Hell yeah!" Rora was already reaching into the back for her bags.  

            "Finally!" I swerved into the driveway, halting to a stop. I clicked the engine off and pulled out the keys, not even bothering to close the roof top. We were already rushing up to the front door, bags in hand.