Chapter I

It was all blurry. Foggy and vivid all at once. Where am I? I was only just in the peacefulness of the woods.
It all hurts. I can feel blood streaming down my arms and legs. The last thing I remember is a leaf; I had named it Terrance. He flew beyond my hands, so I raced after him. Now I lay on the ground, bleeding and in agony. All I recollect was a vine and a monstrous cavern in the earth.
Had I fallen? It's the most probable judgment.
I open my eyes. A beam of light shines from above, illuminating me and the flowers I lay on; Asteraceae flowers. They must have cushioned my fall somehow. I had dropped at least two stories. How was I still breathing? It seems nearly impossible.
The flowers beneath me stay uncrushed. They were delicate, holding me up as if they were a cushion. It's odd. I understand I'm light, but not that light.
I could feel myself getting lightheaded from blood decline. I gradually sat up and glanced around. The walls around me were far too steep to climb. It was almost as if someone had dissected a cylindrically shaped drop into the earth.
Small rocks tumbled from the cliffs, and I could hear crickets from the surface overhead. It was later in the day, I assumed. When I had been outside, it had been midday. Now it appeared to be roughly six or seven in the evening.
Vines protruded from the cliff-like walls, coiling about and around each other. They all seemed to conform to one direction. I followed them with my eyes to view a towering doorway with pilasters on either side. A flat stone hangs above the opening. There is a symbol carved into the cobble; the Delta Rune. The emblem of the Kingdon of Monsters. The design shows an orb between two wings and three triangles beneath it, with the middle triangle inverted. emblem
My face became pale; I was in the monster kingdom, a place where dangerous monsters were locked away so many years ago. What if they were still alive? Would they kill me? I stare at the emblem, unsure of what I should do. There was no other way out but through the kingdom. But what was the exit? Maybe there is none; it's been hundreds of years that the monsters are all trapped in the underground.
Suddenly, I feel a wave of nervousness crash over me. What if they found me here? What would happen? What would they do? I try and ignore this feeling; for all I know, they could all be dead. The lack of sunlight, food, clean air. It surely would have killed them by now.
  But what if it didn't. Monsters do excel in academics; the puzzles they create had humans fooled for years during the war.
  I look at the doorway. It leads into a hallway; dark and brooding. I single shimmer of light protrudes from another doorway.
  I'm already here now. I can't climb out, and all I have is that doorway.
  I get up slowly, still in pain from the fall, and I slowly limp into the doorway.