To New Beginnings

Stepping into the dingy, dimly lit bar, you immediately felt at home. You recognized the bartender and gave a warm, friendly smile, lifting your hand in greeting. The elderly man gave you a sweet and soft grin in return, a welcome sight.

You plopped yourself down onto a stool, running your hands over your lap, straightening out any wrinkles that might have appeared on your dress. The bartender shuffled his way over to you, polishing a glass, typical bartender stuff. 

"Haven't seen you around here in a while, Y/N. How have you been?" he questioned as he leaned forward, arms crossed and resting on the bar top.

"I've been okay. Going through some stuff, but, y'know, I can tough it out," you told him, laughing lightly, waving your hand in nonchalance.

Even though you acted as though it was nothing, it really hurt, trying to pass it off as if you were having trouble with a colleague at work or something. You had really loved him and now he was gone, probably living it up with one of his side-chicks, while your only rebound was a bar.

"Glad to see you're still kicking, though. How's Aika?" you questioned, leaning back in your chair, mentally shrugging off your pain.

He chuckled softly and gave you a close-eyed smile before setting down the glass and saying, "She's been good. Recently was accepted into Kyoto Jujutsu High."

"Hah! Glad to hear it. I knew the hours of training a day would pay off. Has she been classed yet?" you wondered, dropping your voice to a lower volume as to not disclose the details of the jujutsu world.

"We should be getting her results tomorrow. I'm really truly confident in her and her abilities," he answered, smiling radiantly.

"Me as well. If I had been able to see her performance, I wouldn't have been able to stop staring," you praised, resting your chin on the palm of your hand.

"Now, how about a drink? I know you didn't just come here to talk about my granddaughter's education with me," the bartender said with a sly smirk.

"You know me too well, Miyazaki-san," you murmured with a sigh, but even with that, you quickly began to scan the menu that rested on a wall above the old man's head.

"Just some nihonshu. Not really in the mood for anything too special right now. Just need to get my mind off of some things," you declared, resting your head on the bar top.

"Anything for you, Y/N," Miyazaki uttered, turning around to grab the large jug of sake and a glass off of the shelves located behind him.

You watched as he skillfully poured the drink, a secret pleasure of yours whenever you came here. It was always so fascinating, watching his arm move up and down to control the speed of the liquid being poured. Miyazaki had been working here for as long as you had been coming here, and he had seen about every stage of your life. He had seen your twenty-first birthday and was the one to help you to the bathroom and waited outside the door while you threw up. He had been there when you had gotten your job promotion and had made you an extra special drink. Miyazaki had also been there when you ended up quitting that job and had consoled you along with all of your friends, for you had claimed it was the worst decision of your life. He was almost like a really cool uncle to you, someone you could rely on, someone who would listen to anything you had to say. He would never interrupt, nor ask questions. He would just listen. It was comforting, knowing that even when the world outside was crumbling and falling apart, that here, inside of this quaint, cozy establishment, you still had someone to be there for you.

"Welp, here you go, Y/N. I hope you enjoy!" he declared, as you lifted your head, your eyes widening in surprise.

"Why the hell am I gonna need six different glasses? There's no way I'll drink all of these!" you exclaimed, throwing your arms up.